Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Hi from Canada

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by GlennR, Jan 13, 2019.

1. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Hello, we have a new little Sheltie named Willow. She was born on Oct 20, 2018 and came to live with us the day after Boxing Day. She's, unsurprisingly, cute and cuddly and very smart. She's learned fetching, sitting, down and come, at least in a distraction-free environment. In a week we'll be able to walk her about the neighborhood and I'm looking forward to that. The vet advised we wait until her immune system had processed her shots before exposing her. So far she's been good with everyone she's met including young men, friends with my son, neighbors and the whole vet staff where we take her. They take her from us so that they each get a chance to hold her. She loves her vet, wagging her tail almost enough to tip herself over.

I do have one question for the group, she wakes up around 3:30 AM and does her business outside, both ways, and then goes back to sleep happily and quietly in her crate in our bedroom. Willow is the first small dog we've owned, we're used to big boys who can hold overnight fairly early on. Is there any sort of average age where we could expect her to last through the night? We feed at 6 AM, when we get up, and 5 PM. I suppose we could go to one feeding if that might change her bathroom pattern.

KarenCurtis and ghggp like this.
  2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Hi Glenn, and welcome to the Forum! Congratulations on welcoming Willow to your family. We love puppy pictures here if you have some to post!

As for getting through the night, Sheltie puppies 8 weeks or older should be able to make it through the night in a crate. Most breeders crate them before they go home so they're used to it. If you take Willow out just before you go to bed she should should be able to make it till 6 or so. Try not jumping up immediately if she whines during the night and see if she settles back down. Shelties are smart and have a way of training us!

One more word on young puppies. At her age, she should eat three times a day if you can do it: morning, lunchtime and dinner. We do that until they're 6 months old and then go to two meals a day. I don't recommend once daily feedings although some people do it. Hope this helps!

KarenCurtis and ghggp like this.
  3. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    welcome:smile2:
    we love pix:yes:

4. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Welcome! Layla would wake at about five am to go out. Last walkies were at 10 pm. Time will take care of the early morning outings.

5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Congrats on your new furry family member Willow! Cute name!

My 8 week old slept through until 5. I agree with Ann, don't jump up immediately to take her out as that will become the default pattern.
    I also fed breakfast, lunch, and dinner!

Yes, we LOVE pictures!

KarenCurtis likes this.
  6. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Knowing from the replies here that Willow was able to hold all night at her age, we hardened our hearts and ignored her 3 AM fussing and she managed the night in her crate in our room. Regular sleep has returned to our home. Thanks for the replies!

7. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Everyone here is learning what we've dubbed the Sheltie Shuffle. It's trying to walk without stepping on Willow who loves to run between legs and circle around you as you walk. She's quiet and small and almost always following. We, and she, are getting better at it as we develop a better sense of what to expect from her. We've always had big dogs so it's a brand new challenge dealing with a pint-sized pup.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Animals/Willow/i-PQmC8WJ/0/1e0ec35d/M/2019011310172950-IMG_1302-M.jpg

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    Jams, Ann, KarenCurtis and 1 other person like this.
  8. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Willow is just precious!
    I feel for you... yep, those little ones can certainly move fast and get under foot!

9. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Lol! Wonderful!