Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Hi!

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by Katrina, Jun 22, 2022.

1. Katrina

Katrina Forums Regular

Aug 6, 2020
    Hi,

I'm a long time Sheltie owner. I've only ever had two dogs - my first Lexy (1996-2008) and my current one, Trixie (2010-present). I have a question: Trixie was found to have high Choloesterol and high trigylicerides this past blood panel. She's on a low-fat GI diet where I feed just once a day this dry kibble. What would you suggest I give her to help this go down? I read sometimes omega 3 can help as well as help with keeping her joints working well. Do any of you do that? Also, I have been giving her a doggie vitamin once a day.

Any thoughts?
    Katrina

2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Welcome Katrina and Trixie to Sheltie Nation! I don’t have any experience with these issues but we have a wealth of knowledge here and I’m certain someone will be able to help you out.

Ann likes this.
  3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Welcome! Sorry to hear Trixie’s health concerns.
    I found this article that might help shed some light …
    https://www.tuftsyourdog.com/dogfoodandnutrition/high-cholesterol-and-high-triglycerides-in-dogs

Please make sure you talk to your vet before changing her diet.
    My Beau has high Cholesterol too. I am going to have an ultrasound done due to concerned about Gallbladder issues. He is 6. We alway are concerned when our pups have health issues.
    Lisa is correct, many others will help as we have many experienced folks here that will chime in!

4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Welcome to the Forums, Katrina and Trixie! There are several things I do with my senior dogs to keep them mobile, starting with Cosequin for joints. Omegas are excellent, but you have to be careful if you're dealing with cholesterol and fats so I'd check with your vet before starting that. Cosequin is a joint product that will help her mobility as she ages whether or not you give Omegas. It comes in both chews and chewable tablets.

Also for GI issues, I would definitely include a probiotic in her diet. Purina FortiFlora is excellent. You can get it in tablet form on Chewy and just add one a day to her food. They eat it like a treat. My girl with gastro issues has been on it for a year and it's helped her immensely at 15 1/2. Another good one is Natures Farmacy Dogzymes Probiotic Max.

It's good to have you with us. We love pictures, so share some of Trixie when you can!

Ron Atkinson, Piper's mom and Sharon7 like this.
  5. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    welcome:smile2:
    we love pix:yes:

Piper's mom and Cindy like this.
  6. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Welcome, my impression is in dogs the high cholesterol can predispose to gallbladder issues, rather than clogged arteries and heart disease like in people.

Ann, Piper's mom, ghggp and 1 other person like this.
  7. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    That is exactly why Beau is getting an ultrasound next month!