Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

High fiber anti-anal gland treats?

Discussion in 'Treats & Supplements' started by k9kreationz, Dec 27, 2017.

1. k9kreationz

k9kreationz Premium Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Portland, OR
    My friend was asking if I had any recipes that were high fiber so she doesn't have to deal with the anal glands, lol. I don't, but figured I'd ask. Anyone?

She was talking about pumpkin or sweet potato, but adding more fiber. I have no idea how this works, but won't that clog a dog up? Anyways, does anyone have a recipe to share?

2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I don't have a recipe but a suggestion...I feed my dogs raw plus I give them about 1/2 cup of raw veggies with their meal and bones and they're the most regular dogs I've ever had. I'm not saying for her to feed raw but adding raw veggies to kibble is good for their digestion and helps keep them regular as well as lower the blood sugar and bone adds fibre to their diet as well ( I feed chicken backs that I remove the fat from)

3. jaleely

jaleely Premium Member

Nov 16, 2017
    Ventura, CA
    Try giving carrots as treats. Works great! Do same amount each day.
    Also, just express them once a month. Keeps the channels clear, and it keeps them super clean.
    My Bowser has the best glands, bc I've done this since he was little. I do it a little sooner than a month, otherwise I can smell when he needs it, and so can he, and he tries to lick. I run and grab a disposable glove, a bag, and paper towles, and get to squeezing!

4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I add a spoonful of plain, canned pumpkin (right from the can) to each feeding twice a day. It does add fiber to the diet and helps with both constipation and diarrhea. It's especially good in the winter when dogs may not drink as much water. Just make sure it's plain pumpkin, and not the pumpkin pie mix stuff. I have a few who've had anal glad issues and this has really helped!

5. k9kreationz

Oct 24, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Thanks everyone. I don't think I've ever had a dog that had gland issues to the point where I'd have to express them. Yuck.

I'm going to ask if she's tried the veggie, pumpkin (not as treats), etc.

6. k9kreationz

Oct 24, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Okay, so she said veggies and pumpkin works, but I guess she's looking for something more convenient. So, keep on giving me suggestions!

7. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Just tell her to give her dog a raw bone every day and she'll have the most regular dog. I have zero issues with anal glands and my boys eat raw.