Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Hill's J/D

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by shelee, May 19, 2020.

1. shelee

shelee Forums Regular

Jan 31, 2017
    I have a 11 yr old Sheltie with advanced elbow arthritis. I've posted about her issues several times in the past. I got Missy as a rescue 9 yrs ago. She was very overweight for her slight frame. She weighed 35 lbs. With walks (which we can't do much of anymore with her advancing arthritis) Core Wellness reduced fat dry kibble and tons of steamed green beans I have maintained her weight 22-24 lbs. She loves her food. I will not list all the pain meds she is on to keep her comfortable and mobile, but supplements for the joints I give are Super Snouts green lipped mussel joint powder, Dasuquin advanced, and Alenza. My vet has suggested instead of her current food I switch to Hill's Science Diet J/D. I am skeptical. I have never been a fan of Science Diet. I read the ingredients on the J/D and think I am giving Missy basically the same or better joint supplements with all I am currently giving her. Are there any thoughts someone can share on this? Am I mistaken about J/D and maybe it is superior?

2. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    The problem with what you read that puts Hills down is it comes from a site that's run by a dentist who makes money on the side by putting support by pet food companies who pay him to give them good reviews. So be very careful what you use to make judgements about food. There are also sites run by vet nutritionists who give a much better breakdown of what goes on behind the scenes of dog food manufacture, they just don't have the PR funding behind them.

Hills is one of the top 5 companies that are internationally approved by WSAVA and undertake lifetime testing. So to make claims that the product helps with joints, then it has scientific evidence to support that. It runs ethical testing facilities too (one of the big online dog journals did a tour of their facilties, it was an interesting article). My boy that had arthiritis, if he hadn't been sensitive to chicken I would have used the J/D in a heart beat. I think it's far better to have them on a food that supports joint health than add another medication. I know many people with old dogs that are using it and the dogs look great. Initially their poop smells a little different as you change, but they soon adjust.

If you don't want to use Hills, Royal Canin and Purina Pro Plan are also equally good prescription products. WSAVA approved and ethically lifetime testedd. I just don't know if those companies have joint presciption products where you live.

And I do understand how hard that is - I think I've mentioned before my boy had elbow arthritis from the age of 2 or 3. He died just short of his 12th bday, and I do know he would have lived longer if not for all the meds (he got intestinal cancer), but he lived a happy life and certainly lived in the fast lane despite the arthritis. My 13yr old is on a vet diet (Royal Canin Gastrointestinal) and it really has been a life saver. I am one person who whole heartedly support trying prescription diets to help health issues.

Hanne and TheDailyPainter like this.