Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Hoity Toity?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by mimiretz, Jul 9, 2019.

1. mimiretz

mimiretz Premium Member

Oct 14, 2014
    denver
    So hubby (Lee) was walking Oberon yesterday. Two small dogs (unleashed) ran out of one of the neighbors and tried to attack Oberon. Lee of course got Oberon out of the way. The neighbor's grown son (who must have had a really bad day) came out and tried to get the little dogs back in the house -- and started yelling at Lee. One of the things he yelled was that Lee and his "hoity toity dog" should stay away from him because he'd beat them both up. Lee just shook his head and walked Oberon in the other direction.

So the question is, what IS a hoity toity dog?

KarenCurtis, Hanne and Piper's mom like this.
  2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    A hoity toity dog....a Sheltie???:ROFLMAO:
    That guy needs to have his head examined lol!
    Clearly he HAD to have had a bad day but honestly, if I encountered that (bad word) I probably would've had a hard time maintaining my composure as your husband did (very smart of him by the way).
    As to what a 'hoity toity' dog is I'd think maybe a Bichon all groomed or maybe a Papillon but certainly not a Sheltie!

Ann, KarenCurtis and Hanne like this.
  3. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    One time the son of a women in my complex had his kids out for a BBQ. The kids loved my dogs. They said their dog, a lab, was always outside and never walked. The father comes up and says my dogs are 'pretend' dogs, so I said - 'compared to what, the garden gnome dog you've got in your backyard', and after I pointed out my sheepdogs get to run and think and be sheepdogs he shut up. Felt so sorry for that discarded dog.

As for hoity toity dogs - that's what people who have untrained, poorly behaved dogs call a dog with perfect manners! No doubt the idiot would prefer an equally untrained poorly behaved pit-bull rather than the small dogs his mother owns.

4. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    One day Zulu and I were standing on a street corner, and a truck pulled up to the stop sign. The driver told me that his dog ( a Lab) could beat up my dog. I told him my dog is way smarter than his dog, and was better looking too. He smirked and drove off.
    Hoity Toity to me: Who the hell are we? Hey! Flim Flam, Bim Bam Ole Miss, By Damn! ... hah-tee-tah-dee (dialectal corruption of hoity-toity) adj. 1. assuming airs; pretentious; ... Being an LSU fan, I heard this cheer many times during football season (University of Mississippi).

5. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    There should be a dislike button for these things - in reality, stuff like this should never happen but....

So very sad on so many levels - the 'bad day' for the guy is no excuse for aggressive behavior. Seems like much of society has forsaken 'old fashioned' good manners and respect. If it were to happen a second time, I would call and report him. Threatening to beat up your husband is no laughing matter. If you know the neighbor, I would not wait for a second time. I always say if God opens a door, jump through it so if you see that neighbor out in these next few days, that's your open door. Say it kindly, say it respectfully, but do make it known that not only were the dogs out of line, their son was as well.

KarenCurtis, Sharon7 and Calliesmom like this.
  6. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    "garden gnome dog!" :yuckyuck

KarenCurtis, Sharon7 and Calliesmom like this.
  7. MissyGallant

MissyGallant Premium Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Sheridan, Indiana
  8. MissyGallant

MissyGallant Premium Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Sheridan, Indiana
  9. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    What a jerk that guy was. I guess any well groomed dog to him would be hoity-toity. People have that prejudice against poodles, too.....

Calliesmom likes this.
  10. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Now THIS is hoity toity!

Attached Files:

Ann, jomuir, Sharon7 and 4 others like this.