Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Homemade Jerky

Discussion in 'Treats & Supplements' started by Piper's mom, Feb 2, 2020.

1. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Thought I'd post about how easy it is to dehydrate your own dog treats. I'm just starting a batch of smelts (never dried them before so hope they're not too fishy smelling), beef heart and some beef and pork liver. It's so very easy and cheap to do! I've got 4 trays total and it cost me maybe $10.00 for all the meats, just a few days ago I bought a package of beef liver jerky (that in my opinion was TOO dry...broke into pieces) and for 100 grams (a little less that 1/4 pound) was $6.00!
    This will take roughly 8-12 hours to dry. I'll post a picture of the finished product later.
    A nice treat for your dog and what dog doesn't like meat? Lol IMG_0004.JPG IMG_0001.JPG

TheDailyPainter, Calliesmom and Hanne like this.
  2. TheDailyPainter

TheDailyPainter Forums Regular

Sep 19, 2019
    Thanks I've been thinking about getting a dehydrator treats are so expensive...and who knows if they were made safely.

Piper's mom likes this.
  3. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    They're great, I use mine to dehydrate dog cookies as well after I've baked them too, or to dry veggies or even banana chips. Pretty much anything can be dried.

ghggp likes this.
  4. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    I make sweet potato chips in mine for the boys. I got into jerky for myself though LOL

Piper's mom likes this.
  5. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    The finished product. I easily have 2 pounds of meat. The fish dried very good and they love them. Will definitely do again and plus side they didnt smell fishy, only at the beginning. image.jpeg

ghggp and TheDailyPainter like this.
  6. Hanne

Hanne Premium Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Next time I see a dehydrator on sale - then I simply must have one :biggrin2:

Piper's mom likes this.
  7. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Right now I'm looking to upgrade mine from the round stacking trays with an on off switch to one that has temperature control. I have to rotate the racks when I make sweet tater chips every two hours or they get over done or not done at all...this basically kills the day for doing anything else!

8. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I hear ya Margi...mine is the on off switch but no temperature control. I do find that the bottom tends to dry faster but overall I find it dries out ok. I do have an extra smart plug and next time I'm going to use it with the dehydrator...I hate leaving it on for longer than necessary if I have to go out.
    This was going for a total of 13 hours and while the fish is crispy the meat is hard but chewy (at least that's the impression I got from the dogs...I didn't try it lol).

Hanne likes this.
  9. Hanne

Hanne Premium Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Margi -Thanks this is really good information

I couldn't help but search for one
    - since Lisa and you talk about your experience

Did not realize there were so many brands
    I found this one on offer for 75 usd ??
    Steba Dehydrator STED5 screenshot.39.jpg
    Lisa and Margi what do you think:confused2:

Piper's mom likes this.
  10. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    That looks like a good one Hanne...geez I'd jump at that for only 75$! A good dehydrator like that would easily be a couple hundred here.

Hanne likes this.