Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Hoping Koko's 3 bad things are over for now

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by Margi, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Two weeks ago I found a mass on Koko's left inner thigh. Cue gut clenching fear after following Beckon's saga. A week before that he had an abscessed tooth, and for the past 9 months has had off and on loss of bladder control.
    The abscess was an easy fix, but it took over a week to get an appt. with the vet to see about all these things. Thankfully the mass was a fatty tumor, the abscess was a cracked tooth that had to come out or it would just keep getting infected and he has no UTI.
    Poor guy is listing to port here post oral surgery, and Benson was being awful to his G-paw when we got home.
    The letting go of his bladder is a mystery she couldn't figure out from the bloodwork and urine tests. So we will just keep making sure he's emptying his bladder outside.

Sharon7 likes this.
  2. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    glad mass was just fatty tumor! gavin is full of them at 14

ghggp and Margi like this.
  3. Hanne

Hanne Premium Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Poor Koko and poor you
    hope it goes forwards from now :yes:

ghggp likes this.
  4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Hoping and praying you identify the cause of the bladder issue! Too many issues... Hopefully, better days are coming!

5. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Wow -- that's just too much too fast. And I KNOW!!!!!

Margi and Hanne like this.
  6. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Stress!!! Glad you got good results and hope you are able to resolve the bladder stuff. Maybe the tooth was causing potty issues? Maybe he was trying to tell you something was wrong? Hope you are able to figure it out!

ghggp likes this.
  7. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    I know you of all people know. You have no idea how many times I looked at Beckon's pictures the week waiting to get in to see vet, and wondering if I would be facing the same decision you had to make!

The loss of bladder control is so weird. Typically incontinence involves dribbling or leaking. This is a sudden full blown voiding of bladder. Like a pregnant woman's water breaking. And he seems to have no idea its happening. Weeks go by with no accidents then whammo. It started right after I got Benson and thought someone was marking in the house. Finally last month he did it while I was sitting here. The night he let go on the bed was the last straw. Hubby was not pleased as it was on his side. I was not pleased as cleaning a mattress at 1 am isn't high on my favorite things list.
    Since he can't make it to the doggie door I am now taking him out front on leash to pee. Making sure he's voided his bladder has stopped the puddles. I am at a loss.

8. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    Poor guy :( My cat had incontinence issues at the end. I would cover my bed with a shower curtain during the day cause I knew she would sleep there. Then I folded up a towel for her to lay on. So each day all I had to do was wash a towel. I also had a second litter box in my bedroom, and since she couldn't make it there (she would pee just outside it) I made a secondary containment tray. But during the day was her unexpected woosh....the rest of the time she knew she had to go but coudn't make it there fast enough... Must be so hard for Koko not knowing....Gavin is quite proud of his bladder control!

All I can suggest is walking him lots so there is less to accidentally void.
    put poop is fine? so strange...

9. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Yeah he poops fine. One speculation is something pushing on the bladder, or the nerves aren't firing correctly...the list of what ifs is endless!

10. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Oh Margi what a cascade of scary stuff! I've had a couple of dogs with abscessed teeth and it can really make them sick. So glad he's only got a fatty tumor - I know when I find something like that my imagination just goes to the dark side. No idea on the incontinence issue, it is much different than just dribbling as you noted. Hope you can manage it with frequent outings for him.

Margi likes this.