Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Hot weather behavior?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by GlennR, Jul 19, 2019.

1. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    I'm finding the heat and humidity have combined to subdue Willow. We take our first walk early in the day to beat the heat. She starts out pretty bouncy and upbeat but gets a bit draggy even with water near the end. When we get home she takes a big drink and crashes on the vinyl in the kitchen for a long nap. The napping goes on and off for most of the day. Before sunset, we go for another walk, a fairly leisurely one. Quick yard visits are taken in the heat of the day.

She's like a dialed-back version of herself for the day even with the air conditioning on. She will rouse herself to play or greet family or guests, but, mainly, she basks in the airconditioned comfort. Well, unless there's food available, then she's keen and eager. :):)

Do your Shelties enjoy the heat or are they more like Willow, putting up with it, but not enamored of it?

Piper's mom, ghggp, Ann and 2 others like this.
  2. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Paris, Ontario CANADA
    Things are similar here.....early walk, another quick one before noon and then one after dinner. The a/c is on and Cooper changes location frequently...maybe as his body heats the floor? There is a Tornado watch in Southern Ontario...reminds me of life in Indiana! :)

3. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    I will not walk him in the heat - his pads are way too sensitive and the road is still too warm even early in the morning. If I won't walk barefoot on it, I don't walk him on it. We will run around the yard a bit, maybe play some fetch. But I got a scare one day - he did too much, came in the house, and seemed off balance for a bit so I said no walks on hot days! We explore my yard, my gardens, but nothing over exerting. Inside, in the A/C, the two dogs get off their energy playing and chasing each other so it's not like he is bouncing off the walls!

Hard to tell if he is hot, he pants a lot as is so I can't use it as a sign for heat issues.

4. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    I've had one black dog in my life, a standard poodle, and his fur got hot to the touch in seconds on a sunny day. Willow's coat often feels cool to the touch. We are fortunate that Willow could, if she wanted, trot on the grass if the paved path got uncomfortable.

Piper's mom likes this.
  5. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Yes! My dogs are more lethargic in the heat, especially Sandstorm, he hates this weather!

Piper's mom and GlennR like this.
  6. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I have six sleeping dogs for 80 percent of the day in the summer. I often think they take after me...I hate the heat and am not a fan of summer. This morning, I had Flurry at a show early when it was still cool at 9:30. We were done and home by 11 and she spent maybe five minutes in the ring. She's been racked out ever since. Admittedly, we are at the beginning of a dangerous heat wave and tomorrow is supposed to be wicked humid and 100 degrees, but even at 80 the dogs aren't their usual energetic selves. Ball games are shorter, if at all, and any walks are in the very early morning. They perk up for meals, deliveries and the occasional squirrel but that's it. I can relate!

7. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    My boys will go out to potty and want right back in the house immediately! No walks... just major lethargic shelties sleeping. Meals are about the only time they come to life. Feels like 97 degrees with 80% humidity... No one wants to be outside in that! Just had a big thunderstorm roll through... lots of lightning and thunder. Yep, I stay inside too!

KarenCurtis, Ann, Sandy in CT and 2 others like this.
  8. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Yup, my boys get pretty lethargic with the heat but they will ALWAYS have energy to run through the sprinkler (try first with a hose on very low, that's how I started with Piper). They're soaked afterwards but boy do they sleep good in the air conditioned house!

9. Hanne

Hanne Premium Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Minnie is so lucky that she lives by the beach all summer with less than 100m to the beach.

So we are out all day and have open doors
    we have several trees that make shade where she can lie

if she does not just have to keep an eye on those who pass by
    it could be some of the friends - she would like to invite into the garden for a little play.

The afternoons where it is too hot in the garden
    - then we go down to the beach and cools our feet

https://photos.app.goo.gl/YqfEvGfLoKWbTWLVA

KarenCurtis, Sandy in CT, Ann and 2 others like this.
  10. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Yep ours droop in hot weather also. We will sometimes have to wait until evening to do our big walk. In normal climate times, summers here were not very hot generally, often foggy for at least half a day and sometimes most of the day. That has changed big-time, unfortunately. Although this summer is a bit more normal; today we had fog until about noon. And living close to the ocean we do get a sea breeze often.

Last year we had months of very hot and dry weather and the dogs just wanted to stay inside and snooze.

KarenCurtis, Ann, Hanne and 1 other person like this.