Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Housebound due to fires

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Sharon7, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    I'm sure most of you have heard of our Southern California fires - the biggest one is only about 15 miles away, and the last 5 days the air has been horrible with smoke and ash, so we are staying in the house all the time. The dogs are getting a bit stir crazy. I've tried playing with them but it just ends up with a barkathon and no real exercise. :rolleyes2:

Pretty depressing knowing 250,000 acres are charred. 800 structures lost, no human life lost amazingly, but of course some pets, horses and untold numbers of wild creatures are victims. :((

We are fairly safe as the winds in our area are almost non existent and that's what is driving the fire down south. Have a list of what to take in case of evacuation though, we've been through this before.

Hubby says he may take the girls back to his office tonight; he's got really long straight hallways so they can chase up and down there for a while. It will likely be weeks before the fire is under control. :uhoh:

2. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    Stay safe that is what matters, the rest will be stories you can tell in the future.

Sharon7 likes this.
  3. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    Wow. I’ve seen videos and photos, it’s crazy. Glad you are safe, and I’ll cross my fingers you don’t have to evacuate. Poor girls—good idea to play in the hallway! I use our stairs (carpeted) when we have bad weather here to tire Enzo out :)

Sharon7 likes this.
  4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    So sorry to hear you're confined and this close to those awful fires, Sharon. Thanks for letting us know you're safe. I can't believe the pictures...what a terrible situation for everyone there. I hope they stay far away from you.

Sharon7 likes this.
  5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Sharon, it has to be so stressful knowing those fires are so close! Please stay safe out there! I just finished watching the devastation on the news!
    I just can't imagine it!
    It is snowing here in Michigan now and I just wish I could send it to California!
    Keep us updated!

Sharon7 likes this.
  6. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    Please stay safe! I couldn't imagine living with the fires so close.

Sharon7 likes this.
  7. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    Definitely, stay safe - and you might want to invest in some good food puzzles as well. It's amazing what the mental workout can do to help tire a dog out!

Sharon7 likes this.
  8. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Just back from my hubby's office where he played the "bad sheep" by running away suddenly. They went nuts chasing him, barking and leaping. There is a really long wide corridor that's perfect for this. Nobody there to disturb, we all had fun and the girls got their ya-ya's out. We are all getting cabin fever here, unless it's pouring rain, we are outside a lot usually.

Thanks to everyone for their kind thoughts - I do believe we are physically safe at this time, no wind predicted here for the next several days so they should be able to make a holding line soon hopefully. You can't believe the smoke and ash, though - the daylight is this weird yellow color.

Gloria - I'd LOVE some snow, rain, sleet, drizzle - anything to stop this inferno! Luckily I am at work tomorrow and the hospital has air filters so my lungs will get a break!

9. Phoebe'smom

Phoebe'smom Premium Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Southern California
    I'm south of you. Our north San Diego county fire is pretty much over. My daughter and her family came to stay with me for a few days. They were in the voluntary evacuation zone, but the air was bad from all the smoke. Her husband was out of town, so it was just her, three young children and a 4 1/2 month old labrador puppy. I am sure that my neighbors were ready to kill me. Phoebe was overwhelmed by the rambunctious, gamboling LeRoy. She would snarl and snap at him when she had had enough, but he responded by barking his head off. I was constantly playing referee and gave them only short periods of interaction. One in, one out, helped me, but not the neighbors. I was ready to kill both of them. He is a sweet puppy, but too big, too uncoordinated. too excitable and too loud! Finally they all could go home and both Phoebe and I took a nap. Sharon, I see that the fire is moving toward Carpenteria. I hope you are well south of that.

10. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Kudos to SheepMan for providing much needed Sheltie Stress Relief!

Cara Sandler likes this.