Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

How barky are your sheltie's

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Sheltie 2021, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Elei

Elei Forums Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2019
    If you get a Sheltie, I think you should be prepared for and happy to live with a very barky dog. Then you can be pleasantly surprised if your dog is one of the quieter ones :)

I’ve met lots of dogs who bark more than Kip, but yes he is a barker! I really don’t mind. I live in a quiet area, but it’s a farm, so he alerts me to anything going on the farm. Sometimes this is helpful. He also barks at many things that don’t need to be barked at - the wind, sneezing, power tools, brooms, etc, etc, etc......

He also barks for the fun of it. He will find something to bark at and then have a party barking at it for a long time. Like 10 minutes unless I interrupt him, which I usually do.

FYI, Kip is not bored or left alone too much. He is with me almost 24/7 and we do lots of activities together, agility, herding, hiking, trick training, strength training. So he’s a busy little dog who just has a lot to say. And I couldn’t love him more.

2. Jess041

Jess041 Premium Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    I have 1 sheltie and she’s completely quiet inside unless I sneeze. When I got her I was in an apartment so teaching her not to react to every little noise was a huge priority for me. I also think it’s her temperament. She’s not all that reactive in general. Now when we’re playing, she’s VERY vocal. We play flyball, agility, and frisbee and she barks non stop. She’s quiet in her crate, but as soon as she knows it’s play time the barking begins.

3. mimiretz

mimiretz Premium Member

Oct 14, 2014
    denver
    Well, we call him Sir Barksalot -- does that answer your question? He barks when the cat moves, he barks when someone sneezes, he barks if my phone rings -- although not my husband's. He barks when there's someone at the door. He barks when there's another dog on the street. He barks when -- um, he barks.

We have not consciously tried to train him not to bark, although I do occasionally start to try.

Funny story: When we first got him (a few days before he turned 8 weeks) he never barked. A couple of months after we had him he barked at something. He then came running into the room my hubby and I were in and looked at us like "See? Did you hear that noise? That was ME!" He was so proud of himself ...

4. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Here's a link to a vid I took a while ago: Benson's Morning Report
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/50983940837/in/dateposted/
    (I didn't know if it was ok to upload videos directly.)
    He is not really worked up here so its probably my next door neighbor doing something or people walking behind the house that caused him to come in and tell me. If it was coyotes or javelinas he would have been much more emphatic that I attend to this matter! Thank the Lord his debark is good!

5. Daisy1015

Daisy1015 Forums Enthusiast

May 2, 2014
    oh my gosh I am dying laughing with this! it is so true!

Yes mine have all been verbal but of varied degrees and triggers. One is sound reactive, he barks the most. The "sister" barks at him as her trigger not at the actual noise.
    This is partof how they herd so it is hardwired to a degree. SOme reactions are "fear based" and can be desensitized. Sometimes fear based behavior looks like fun or later becomes fun.
    Typical shelties are not going to bark for hours unless left alone outside maybe.

They are trainable to some degree and some dogs are barkier than others.I found most breeds I was interested in as sheltie back ups, were also barkers, so I got my preferred breed - another sheltie. :)

6. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    :yuckyuck OMG Margi when I played this all 3 dogs were sound asleep in the other room - they came hauling in here, Meadow in the lead, barking away. She stood up on her hind legs, front legs on my knee and stared at the computer screen and growled! :pop :lol:

And yes you can upload videos since you are a premium member.

7. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    That was just the cutest!
    Benson is just the most talkative! He really wanted you to follow him. My guys just bark lol

Selena Wohlslagel and Sharon7 like this.
  8. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    I have to get a vid of Benson "talking". He makes this quiet Waa Waa Waa sound while working his jaws--not quite clacking his teeth. Its as hard to get on vid as Blue's tremors. Gotta be ready before it starts...

9. pomshe

pomshe Forums Enthusiast

Apr 6, 2015
    Pittsburgh
    In my experience pomeranians are way more barky than shelties. And it seems females are way more barky than males. My Jesse never barks outside the house and only barks inside when I am taking one of the other dogs out before him. On the other hand, my Daisy barks at everything and nothing. She has to announce to the world that she is here!

10. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Margi is right! There is no way around it; Shelties are a barking breed. You stand a chance in training it down some with one, in a quiet environment. With multiples like I have, forget it. We live; therefore we bark. All the time, at everything. One starts the others, even if they're quiet.

So much depends on the dog and its temperament too. An anxious, overly excitable dog will bark more, while a calm, more mellow one less. Best advice is to talk to the breeder and look for a calmer puppy and then be consistent with training. But do be prepared...they are a "talky" breed!