Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

How barky are your sheltie's

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Sheltie 2021, Feb 26, 2021.

1. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    I call Zulu my little barkaholic. He is an alarmist, constantly on the look out for threats. He comes running to me with that "you seriously need to check this out" look. Now that he is getting older, I have noticed that he is more tolerant of some of his earlier triggers. But sometimes I just have to get up and see what he thinks is such a threat before he will settle down. Sometimes it is annoying, but all the plusses outweighs this one issue. I just keep reminding myself he is a Sheltie, doing his job.

KarenCurtis, Hanne, JacqueZ and 3 others like this.
  2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    that sounds like Dixie- she barks before we even leave the bedroom in the morning. it's just like announcing to the world that she's here... and she doesn't stop until they get outside and she goes to do her business...................

3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Reminds me of going to a dog show (soooo long ago lol) and I’d take Piper and Finnie in and it’s just a constant bark bark bark bark from Finnie and more so from Piper. I’ve often thought they were announcing themselves...’The Sheltie’s are here”!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    they don't bark much at shows...
    Cran and Dix were pretty much always quiet in their crates but I did learn very early to cover them..
    some people that we were crated next to weren't even sure that there really were dogs in the crates- eventually they saw the door open on one crate and then even saw me putting someone back in the crate. they were very impressed with how good the brown dogs were at the agility show.
    then when I started taking Jocu and Destin, they made a good amount of noise but now they are very good quiet dogs in their crates too.

5. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Piper and Finnie were quiet too in their crates, it was walking from the car to the building lol. They’d announce themselves lol.

6. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Cooper has triggers....sirens, door bell, sneezing, but we also think he does it for attention and there is a chance we have a ghost in the house when he just barks at nothing! lol We have been working on the no bark and quiet with a treat reward once he stops when told, but it’s hit and miss right now. Our first family dog was a female Sheltie and I swear she never barked as much as Cooper does, but maybe we had forgotten it was a long time ago. lol. My thought as a Senior is that at some point I will be losing my hearing and it won’t bother me! ha ha ha :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

KarenCurtis, Sharon7, RikyR and 3 others like this.
  7. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    they're quiet walking from the car to the crates too:winkgrin:

KarenCurtis, Piper's mom and Sharon7 like this.
  8. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    My first pair weren't big barkers. When they barked, its cuz something was there. Perfect alarm system. Fil and Koko really don't bark much. But Benny never shuts his mouth, he talks all day long if you let him.

Piper's mom and Sharon7 like this.
  9. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Hollie barked at everything and she always barked when she was excited and whenever she was playing. Shelby does not bark much at all. If she does she usually has a reason.....the squirrels, chipmunks, deer etc are in the yard LOL. She doesn’t bark when playing or excited. She doesn’t even bark when someone is at the door. Actually one time our neighbors came and rang our doorbell when we were not home. Said Shelby didn’t make a sound. They thought she was with us.

10. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    My current three are the least barky dogs in my neighbourhood - and that's even with Della. I used to live in a body corporate so was really aware of barking. Any barking tends to be play related, I've never been able to cure Tully of her play barking, which has gotten so loud as she goes deaf. Atm I am trying to stop an adolescent Kismet bark at people going past the house when she's outside, going pretty well.

Poor Deska, he didn't really become a barker until he was about 2 years old - about the same time his dysplasia got bad and he got arthritis. Sometimes I'd go mad with his barking, then I'd have to remind myself the barking would get bad when he was in pain. Of course, Deska used to also just love the sound of his own voice - he also used to talk alot. Della is also a pain barker, I can tell when she has bladder stones or a UTI because the barking becomes more anxious.

Piper's mom, Hanne, Sharon7 and 2 others like this.