Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

How barky are your sheltie's

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Sheltie 2021, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Darren

Darren Premium Member

Nov 1, 2019
    Monty is a barker!
    Wants his dinner.....bark.....wants to play.....bark......time for walks.....bark.....noise outside......bark......Can't immediately see Mr Broccoli......bark......wants rubs........bark........playing with kids........bark........having a tantrum......bark.......getting told to get down off tables.......bark.......told to sit/stay/lay..........bark..........Goes missing somewhere in the house.......silence.......:gaah

2. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
  3. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

4. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    We have had the full range...from very quiet Shelties to ones who love to bark just to hear themselves! Our Faelee almost never barked even when Sketchie and Simba were sounding off an alarm about something...almost the only time she ever barked was in excitement when I got her lead out for a road walk. Sketch on the other hand found a zillions things that we needed to be alerted to every day and Simba would join in for support even when he had no idea what Sketch was barking at. Laddie, so far at 7 months old, is using barking to tell me that there is something he wants (to go out or time for a meal) and he will go totally bananas if the neighbor's cat comes up near our house or a big raccoon like we had come right up to our window this morning, but he doesn't bark at traffic, delivery trucks/people coming up our driveway or people passing by on the road (with or without dogs) which is really nice and hopefully will stay true as he matures. So much depends on the basic personality of each dog.
    Trini

5. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sandy in CT, Hanne, Ann and 2 others like this.
  6. Selena Wohlslagel

Selena Wohlslagel Forums Enthusiast

Feb 10, 2021
    WOW

Darren likes this.
  7. Selena Wohlslagel

Feb 10, 2021
    Our Luke thinks he is shepherd of all on the block and barks at cars going to fast.he lets them know

Hanne, GlennR and Darren like this.
  8. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    You live in a great area for a barking sheltie!! I train mine not to bark at the neighbors when they are outside, I distract mine with treats when necessary, and use treats to reinforce the no barking. When they are inside barking at their favorite TV commercials, we yell at them, lol. It works sometimes. I never yelled at them when they were small puppies though, but they didn't bark so much as puppies.

Hanne and Darren like this.
  9. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    :yuckyuck

Darren likes this.
  10. Selena Wohlslagel

Feb 10, 2021
    Sheltie can be barkers.comes with their herding instinct.they are very sensitive.yelling at them isn't going to help train them for years I have used sleigh bells to distract and train my shelties.dogs respond very quickly to bells and rewards for non bark behavior.i allow Luke to "ha" or Chi.These are softer vocals that please their need to communicate and the neighbors need not to be barked at everytime they come home. Pavlov a renound cognitive psycolgist used bells for his dogs.dogs respond and learn quickly with bells and positive reinforcement treat or praise

Hanne, Darren, GlennR and 1 other person like this.