Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

How do I shape my shelties long stringy tail hair?

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by kayla, Oct 12, 2019.

1. kayla

kayla Forums Regular

Aug 1, 2017
    Hi my sheltie used to have the cutest fox tail when the hair was still short and growing in. As her coat grew in the tail hair grew unevenly long near the under back of the tail. It looks messy and Ungroomed and I’m wondering if it’s at all possible to groom the tail to the shape it was before. It almost looks like it was more thick before, but that could be due to the shorter hair length making it more compact
    Here’s the link to the photos
    https://imgur.com/gallery/lcYHA7F

Piper's mom likes this.
  2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    You can trim the long hair to make her tail more even. Use thinning shears -- NOT straight shears, trimming just a bit at a time.

Put her on a stable surface such as a grooming table or a place where she'll stand still for you. Hold her tail out straight behind her with one hand, and with the other carefully snip at the long ends with the thinning shears. Don't take a lot off at once, remember you can't put it back once it's off but you can always cut more. After your first cut, put the tail down, brush it, lift it up again and look. Repeat this until it looks even.

Post some pics when you're done! Happy trimming!

Chris and Piper's mom like this.
  3. kayla

kayla Forums Regular

Aug 1, 2017
    uhm it did not work out at all Lol
    https://imgur.com/gallery/ImE82ev
    for some reason when she was a puppy her tail was so thick and fluffed now it looks like a pencil stick

Piper's mom likes this.
  4. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    ups - it will grow out again :wink2:

I do as Ann describes, but only take 1½ - 2 cm at a time once a month
    and only the lower hairs when the tail is held straight from the body
    and the tip of the tail so it does not touch the ground

But my result never becomes like a pretty puppy tail :winkgrin:

But I can not figure out to groom the whole tail all the way to the bottom?? of the tail :cry:

Piper's mom likes this.
  5. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Not to worry, as Hanne said the good thing about hair is that it will grow back, and maybe it will come in even! If you do it again, try to shape it a bit more, taking less closer to the body so it's not so much a straight line. Still, it doesn't look bad and in a few months it will look fine.

I didn't ask you how old she is. If she's between one and two years old, she's probably having her first coat blow and that may be why she looks sparser. Puppy coats are alway full and fluffy. Her new adult coat will grow in a bit coarser.

Your pup is still really cute and I bet that tail still wags!

Piper's mom likes this.
  6. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    I'm just wondering how old is your girl? They typically blow their coat around a year old and if not spayed they'll do a major shed every heat. Perhaps she doesn't have her full coat yet?

7. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    :hugs:ROFLMAO:

8. kayla

kayla Forums Regular

Aug 1, 2017
    She is nearly 2 years, she’ll be 2 in December 5th

9. kayla

kayla Forums Regular

Aug 1, 2017

She’s nearly 2 she’s just about a month and a half away from her birthday December 5th