Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

How do I wait 3 1/2 months for my puppy?

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by KarenCurtis, Feb 10, 2019.

1. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I'm too excited! I emailed with the breeder yesterday; she's getting the whelping box ready! She has no doubt now that her Sheltie is pregnant. This could drive me nuts! What ifs! I don't want to think about that- I know I'll dream about it, what if the dog only has one pup! Lol! What if it's all boys and I wanted a female? :gaah:fl:confused2: I'd rather stumble upon a litter at the end of May, but this is the way it's going to be. I like this breeder, we've been fb friends for years. She is friends with Sandstorm's breeder. She bought Sandstorm's litter mate 9 years ago, but didn't keep him as he was also over sized. Then there's the worry about getting puppy home and having to leave it to finish out the school year- I have plenty of sick time though and I'm two years until retirement. And then there's the concern that I will drive you all crazy with my rants about puppy. Oh! My husband and I are arguing about ears- to tip or not to tip. And then there is the color question- what colors will the pups be? A cryptic blue tri-color dam and a sable sire.
    I am sorry, I really am- this is going to get worse. Oh! Sandstorm!! How will he react to the puppy?? Sorry. :hide

2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    How exciting! No apologies needed, Karen...we've all been there! Rant away, and keep us posted (as I know you will! :lol:) We love happy news and updates! Our fingers are crossed for the perfect puppy for you and Sandstorm! :fl

KarenCurtis likes this.
  3. KarenCurtis

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Thanks!

4. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    We were sort of nerve-wracked too when we decided to add a puppy when our first Sheltie was 13. Worries about whether it would be too much for Skye at her age (not only was it not; she actually perked up a lot when Asta came), whether they would get along, whether the puppy would annoy the cat, etc, etc. And now, we would not be without at least 2, and 3 is just great.

Don't worry, you won't wear us out, but try and focus on the positive. Haven't had a pup since Asta, and her ears tipped mostly by themselves (had to help one along with chewing gum) so haven't had that problem. Faith and Eli both have prick ears which along with oversize is why we got them (failed show dogs).

I hope you at least get one girl in that litter!

KarenCurtis likes this.
  5. KarenCurtis

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Thanks! I am hoping for a small sheltie, Sandstorm is big! We love him big, but want s small one so I can name her Minnie!

RayneDance, Hanne and Sharon7 like this.
  6. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I totally understand...I was you when I got Piper! Here's a 'what if' I never considered...What if the dog has 2 female pups but the breeder can't choose which one to keep.....
    Happened to me and I never even considered it! Of all the things that could've gone wrong lol. Pups were 8 weeks old and she still couldn't decide, I had first pick (after her of course) and one male was already gone. There were 7 pups in the litter, two males were spoken for (she was keeping one) and two females that she wanted. That left 3 males and I didn't want to end up without my pup:gaah!
    So at 8 1/2 weeks I picked a male....and that's my Piper...love of my life!
    I was so pissed at the breeder when this occurred but I couldn't be happier now. Funny how things work out.

KarenCurtis and Sharon7 like this.
  7. KarenCurtis

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I don't know if the breeder is keeping any, she didn't mention it. They usually keep one I would think

8. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Don't worry about it whatever you do lol. It totally changed my perspective about males vs females that's for sure!
    My next one (won't be several years at least!) would be a female. Just to see if there is a difference lol.

KarenCurtis likes this.
  9. GlennR

GlennR Forums Enthusiast

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    The only thing I asked of my breeder was a dog with a good temperament. I didn't mind male or female or what the color would be. I think, in the end, you'll love your puppy regardless of color, size or sex. I really feel I won the jackpot with Willow, smart, loving and a heck of a foot warmer.

10. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Minnie are oversize :yes:
    Minnie became a "Minnie" because she was smaller than my previous GSD
    - I thought "Mini" = tiny - she should not be called
    - she could not help she was small :no:
    -therefore her name became "Minnie" with the nickname Mus = mice :hugs

Ann, KarenCurtis and Sharon7 like this.