Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

How Do You Get Your Sheltie Groomed?

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by adellelauren, Oct 14, 2012.

1. adellelauren

adellelauren Forums Regular

Apr 10, 2012
    New York
    Miss Mia is almost 7 months old. Where does time go? She's been getting a puppy groom at Petsmart since she was 10 weeks old and goes every 7 to 8 weeks. But now that she is past 6 months it is no longer a puppy groom. Plus her coat is coming in. I was asked if I would want fur trimmed and so forth. She usually gets bathed and all that fun stuff. Not sure if she should get any trimming like on the pads or what I should do. So how do you get your Sheltie groomed?

2. Lightplum

Lightplum Forums Sage

Jan 4, 2009
    Rhode Island
    for chain grooming places ive found from reading various peoples post you have to be EXTREMELY specific!! Otherwise you'll end up with a sheltie trimmed soo harshly it will lose the look of a sheltie...

The only thing that should be trimmed are the bottom of the feet (inbetween the pads), and if they are are experienced enough, which most all breed groomers are not, the ears and hocks. You can also have them do a sanitary trim but even with that you must specific because they will get wild with a pair of clippers/scissors.

Honestly if you can have either your breeder, or even find a local breeder to show you how to trim, its rather simple to do and besides saving you $$$ your dog wont come back either shaved down or what ever new fad the groomer thinks up while the dog is in their possession!! :rolleyes2:

3. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    With all the horror stories I've heard about PetSmart, PetCo and other small grooming salons regarding Shelties, I'd suggest you either learn to trim yourself or find someone who knows the Shetile look.

Linda (Lightplum) gave some great advice for finding someone to teach you.

I offer similar advice for finding an actual groomer. Contact your local Sheltie club and ask if they can recommend a groomer in your area.

For me, having someone do the grooming works best because I simply don't have a way to properly bathe, dry, and groom my dogs properly. I was lucky enough to have a groomer nearby who knows how to groom Shelties because was was taught by a Sheltie breeder. (The breeder use to own the grooming salon before she moved down south and sold the business.) I usually get a "partial show" cut.

4. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

My recommendation is buy the Illustrated Guide to Shelite Grooming by Barb Ross.

Whether you decide to groom yourself and let others do it, you need to educate yourself first and foremost.

I thought myself an educated Sheltie person until Bacca went through two bad groomings (he was shaved where he should not have been shaved. I'm still waiting for his guard hair to grow back. Perhaps never.

Now I know what to tell my groomer to do. I never even went to a Petsmart groomer. I went local pet shops expecting they wuould better. Not.

Basic Sheltie grooming (non-show) should be limited to bath, feet trim and nail trim and poop chute. If the groomer is knowledeable, then you can allow some scissoring.

I like a well groomed ear, but make sure that you groomer understands the proper set.

The only time a clipper should tough a sheltie is is the underpads, perhaps around the toenails and the poop chute.

5. mbfrench

mbfrench Forums Celebrity

Aug 2, 2009
    SC
    All of the above!

I have 3 here...and I would never let a groomer in town touch my dogs,only because I would probably go bullistic on thrm,if they shaved or clipped one of my dogs.

Get the book..well worth the money. Read it,and do as it tells you to do. It really is not rocket science,and believe me,it will give you greater comfort knowing for (1) you did it your self!:wink2:
    (2) It's quite relaxing for you & the dog,and is a great bonding
    time.:yes:
    (3) you will not have to post here,and tell us how horribly a job
    they did.:yes:

6. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Yes, do it yourself. Unless you're showing, all you really need to do is:
    1. Trip the "slippers" on the paw pads
    2. Tidy up "grinch feet"
    3. Trim the ragged bottoms of the "pantaloons"
    4. Trim the "poop chute"
    5. Clip nails

7. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

No, you don't have to do it yourself.

But just be educated in what you want. That's why I recommended the book

8. adellelauren

adellelauren Forums Regular

Apr 10, 2012
    New York
    Thank you for the advice guys.

9. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Good point -- and you can take it to the groomer, too, if they're new to Shelties.

10. ortegah

ortegah Forums Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    My advice is to watch a lot of videos online and do it yourself. Chances are unless you find a sheltie breeder that grooms, you will eventually find yourself with a chopped up Sheltie. Someone will eventually take it upon themselves to cut where they shouldn't. I do my guy's ears, feet and occationally a sanitary shave, and that's it.