Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

How do you keep teeth clean?

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Piper's mom, May 16, 2021.

1. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    I was surprised when the breeder told me she’d had several teeth (including the lower canines) pulled from Piper’s brother Teller, I believe she said he’ll also need his upper canines pulled as well and he’s only 6! So this evening I was checking out Piper and Finnie’s teeth and they’re virtually free of plaque and tarter. They get a frozen chicken foot (or a frozen chicken back) daily as well as kelp powder daily since they were pups. I do believe the bones help but I really think the kelp powder keeps the front teeth clean. They did have a bit of plaque on the canines that I scaled off but other than that they were so good! I highly recommend kelp powder...I give them 1/4 tsp a day with their food.

Piper....and dental assistant Finnie:lol:
    864D090A-3E53-463A-96E2-9F23A5AD61D2.jpeg Finnie E11831D7-4B4E-42C9-91B0-F2647622E0A4.jpeg Piper...you can see his lance canines here. Dental assistant Finnie looking on:lol: 71A3E0FE-3D5C-42BD-8D0B-F30242E90409.jpeg

2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Wow their teeth look GREAT! I just scaled Faith and Eli's teeth, they weren't too bad as we do brush them. Faith's farthest back molar (the small one) was full of tartar so I got that off. It's hard to brush that far back very efficiently. Why does the kelp powder keep their teeth clean?

thank God nobody here has lost canines - that would really bum me out. But several dogs have lost a molar or two and Faith lost some of her upper incisors as her jawbone is apparently very thin right there.

Darren, Sandy in CT and Piper's mom like this.
  3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    There’s a bacteria in the kelp that helps stop the tartar.... “Kelp has even been proven to help with tartar buildup on dogs' teeth. This is because of a bacteria known as Bacillus lichenformis. This bacteria can be found on the surface of kelp and when it releases an enzyme, it eats away at the tartar buildup on the teeth.”
    Whatever it is it’s helped keep my dogs teeth nice and clean.

4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Totally agree. This is what I use. ProDen PlaqueOff kelp powder. Works wonderfully well.

5. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I was using the Proden for several years- I saw no impact on their teeth so we stopped using it.
    someone at work was using it for her dogs and saw the good results that others have reported- not sure why it didn't work on my guys.....

6. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    I prefer plain ordinary kelp powder. Cheaper and works just as good. Can also be bought at health food stores.

Darren, Sandy in CT and Sharon7 like this.
  7. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I use Plaque Off, Ann recommended it, it wirks also

Darren, Sandy in CT and Piper's mom like this.
  8. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    I didn't need to do dentals on my dogs until they were 10yrs - and that was only because I decided to get the gallbladder ultrasound and figured I'd get the teeth cleaned at the same time, not that they needed it. At 14yrs Tully still has all her teeth (although since she got IBD her teeth get plaque quickly). A lifetime of meaty bones and chewy meat. I always gave bones they had to gnaw meat off, not bones that could be eaten. Used to give lamb shanks but nowadays they've become trendy and therefore expensive.

Nowadays I brush Kismet's teeth with dog toothpaste, which she loves. I've tried the CET stuff but it doesn't seem to make a difference. What does help is to use gauze wrapped around my finger to rub the teeth, rather than a toothbrush. I also have the chlorohexadine dental wipes for when they pick up something yucky (someone here recommended then - taste awful but kills germs).

9. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    I like the idea of using gauze, easier to get into the back. I need to get some chlorohexadine from the vet...I had but ran out and with not being able to go into vet I forget. Need heartworm meds so I’ll get then.

Darren likes this.
  10. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Willow had been getting plaque buildup even though we were brushing daily. We didn't have an enzymatic toothpaste. In the last month, since her Spring booster shots, we've been using the kelp and have switched to an enzyme-based toothpaste and we now brush her teeth twice a day, once after breakfast and once just before bedtime. We use gauze for one and the toothbrush for the other. Willow's teeth have been showing a lot of improvement. I think all the remaining plaque will be gone by the time another month rolls by. They are really tremendously better under our multi-point attack on plaque.