Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

How fast do b-vitamin supplements correct blood levels?

Discussion in 'Drugs & Medications' started by Merry, Dec 18, 2019.

1. Merry

Merry Forums Regular

Oct 30, 2014
    Finland
    Hello all!

Here's a (difficult) question. How fast does giving b-vitamin supplements work? My dog is deficient in both b12 and folate, and I'm now giving him supplements (250ug for b12 and 200ug for folate). Will the levels be up in a few days, or will it take longer? The reason I'm asking is that a year ago he was blood tested and both his levels were fine, but he'd just gotten a few tablets of those vitamins on the days before. Maybe three tablets or so, and if I remember correctly, not even on the days right before the blood work. His levels were fine then, but could it have been just because of those few tablets? He hadn't been given neither supplement for months and months before this. (I was so stupid for giving them then! I didn't realize he'd be tested so soon). Could he actually have been deficient even then, and just experiencing a passing bump from those few tablets? He was deficient in the past, and then it took four weeks to even get the folate from 5 to 12 (should be over 21). In his "okay" test his folate was 30, but could it have been so good just because of the few tablets, or was he really not deficient then?

This is probably a vet question--I hope someone will find it...

2. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    I'm afraid I can't help you. But I would like to suggest testing for IBD as this can be an indicator of malabsorption, I think particularly with PLE type IBD.

Ann and ghggp like this.
  3. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    I think it is pretty quick, but I am not positive. I've only given B Complex supplements to my goats when they are off feed and the change is almost immediate.

4. The Quahog

The Quahog Forums Enthusiast

Dec 1, 2009
    Rhode island
    Red blood cell production takes about two weeks, and giving the supplements is unlikely to have immediate effect. Unless there is a threatening or critical situation I would wait 3-4 weeks before retesting to see if the supplements were effective.

danisgoat, Sharon7 and KarenCurtis like this.