Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

How hot is too hot?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by GlennR, Jun 18, 2020.

1. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    We're having a bit of a heatwave here where I live at the moment. It's set to go on for a couple of days yet. I took Willow out early hoping to beat the heat. The first half was pretty good but the heat rolled in sooner than I expected and in spite of my bringing cold water for her, she was flagging on the trip back.

Now it's in the nineties. When we got back to the house this morning it was in the eighties with lots of humidity.

So, now for the question. Is there a temperature you draw the line at and keep your Shelties in the air-conditioned house or do you just shorten walks or just carry on as usual?

Willow on the trail this morning and the lake the trail runs beside.
    https://photos.smugmug.com/Animals/...815061062-7062094955537894353-IMG_2792-X2.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Animals/...815061062-4717268887147646668-IMG_2788-X2.jpg

2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    For me, it's the humidity as much as the heat. It can be 75 but stinking humid and IMO that's worse, and just as tough on the dogs. Although I'm a heat wimp and wilt at 80, so I'm probably the wrong person to opine! :ROFLMAO:

Piper's mom, GlennR, Hanne and 2 others like this.
  3. SRW

SRW Forums Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2018

I have a vacation home in Florida and while it's nice there in the winter, it's really hot there in the summer (I occasionally go there in June for a few weeks before the rainy season really gets started), and when I took my previous Shelitie, Baron (avatar photo), for walks there I took some care. I did the longer walk early in the morning while it was still "cool" (85 degrees, 85% humidity <g>) and I kept him on the shady side of the street. I'd take him for a short walk in the afternoon, because he always wanted to go, and for that one I would often hose him down first. At first he didn't like it, but I found that if I put the hose almost right on him as I got him wet rather than squirting him from several feet away, he didn't mind. He was still damp when we got back, but that helped cool him off faster once he got inside with the a/c. I just had to put a towel on the couch where he camped out.

4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
  5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
  6. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    interesting to know that dogs are extinct in Alabama prior to the invention of AC......

GlennR, Calliesmom, RikyR and 6 others like this.
  7. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Queen of Heat here! We go at daybreak, which can already be in the 70's depending on the humidity. But there is shade from houses and trees and the pavement isn't hot yet. One hour brisk walk and we are all ready to get back inside. After that, the boys make their own decisions via the dog door. I'm always surprised how long they stay out there in the morning. Several dog owners around here marveled at their dogs taking sunbaths voluntarily in 100+ heat! Of course they don't stay out long.
    If Willow was flagging in today's heat I would say you found your measure. Listen to your dog :)

8. SRW

SRW Forums Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2018

Yes, even here in southern Ohio in the summer the temperature may not get down to 75 degrees at night during July and August. That said, time outside, what they are doing (i.e. walking or running around), whether in sun or shade, and their age and condition all play into the calculation. Baron would let me know when he'd had enough by lying down in the grass in a shady spot. Devon is still to young to have any sense about heat and he would just run until he dropped so there is a time and distance limit on walks in the summer. I've not been to Florida with him in the summer yet where it's really hot and humid so I haven't tried hosing him down. Also regarding the hosing down, and I've never read this as being important, but it seems that their heads are the first thing to get really hot if it was sunny, so I would have water with me when I walked Baron in Florida, and even after hosing him down, I'd every few minutes put a little cold water on his head to make sure that the hair there stayed wet and cool.

Darren, Margi, ghggp and 2 others like this.
  9. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Forums Sage

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    We walked today - but we go out between 6:30 and 7:30 every morning for our walk. We did not take him on the noon or evening walk today. It is 'only' 80F right now (at 6 pm) (I converted to 26.67C) but humid. We walk on pavement so just won't do it in the hot sun. He is out right now with hubby playing some frisbee and practicing some weave but low key, not for long, when he wants to stop, we listen. If I question the walk, I test my bare feet on the pavement, if it's too hot for my feet, I won't walk him on it.

GlennR, Darren, Margi and 2 others like this.
  10. mimiretz

mimiretz Forums Enthusiast

Oct 14, 2014
    denver
    I live in Colorado so humidity isn't an issue -- and we live in an older neighborhood with big leafy trees so even when it's hot out the sidewalks are shaded and a little cooler. We pretty much let Oberon decide how far and how long to walk -- he's really good at letting us know when it's time to go home.

In addition to heat stroke, make sure that what you're walking on (pavement, asphalt, whatever) isn't burning your dog's paw pads. We tend to let Oberon walk on the grass (cooler) than on the sidewalk. A couple of years ago when we had a string of 100-plus days (unusual) in addition to walking him very early (Lee leaves for work at about 5:30 and walks him before that) and in the evening we would put Musher's on Oberon's pads so they didn't get burned.

GlennR, Darren, Sharon7 and 2 others like this.