Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

How much CBD oil?

Discussion in 'Drugs & Medications' started by shelee, Oct 9, 2019.

1. The Quahog

The Quahog Forums Enthusiast

Dec 1, 2009
    Rhode island
    Like everything else about CBD, even dose is considered mysterious and secretive. I went to CBD CE last month and consider this beauty - 'Cannabis dosing guidelines must incorporate an understanding of the product’s molecular profile, the influence of the individual molecules on multiple body systems, the synergistic effect of and between these molecules, and the individualized response of each patient.’ Yeah, sure. Like I'm gonna do all that when I want a dose for that anxious cat.
    However we can offer some clues. There are veterinary companies producing CBD products, and some are well regarded with a good CoA, (certificate of analysis ) which is the key.
    The famous Cornell study of osteoarthritis http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/cornell-takes-lead-cannabidiol-research used the product of a company called ElleVet which is the one I have - though I have not yet sold any. Cornell used basically a simple 1 mg per pound twice a day (Ok, actually 2 mg per kg, it was Cornell.)
    But even then ElleVet is somewhat secretive- doses are in drops for the oil or chews per dog for the chewy, and they never mention from what I can see, how many mg are in a chewy or a drop. But they do mention , if you look VERY carefully at the fine print scattered over the bag, that there are 62 chews in the bag, and 930 mg per BAG! I mean , WHO DOES THAT? ('This bottle of Rimadyl tabs contains 74 tablets, and a total of 2200 mg in the bottle.' No, it doesn't work like that.) Maybe it's there, but I don't see it. However a little arithmetic shows that is 15 mg per chewy and the dose is 2 chews, or 30 mg, for a 51- 75 lb dog. The smaller bag has 620 mg per bag of 62 chews, thus 10 mg per chewy, and the suggested dose is 2 chews, 20 mg, for a 26-50 lb. So they are suggesting 20 mg for 40 lb, 30 mg for 60, or about half what Cornell used. Don't quote me. The rues here are dumb and the laws dumber. But it could be considered a starting point.
    For those for who even this isn't long winded enough, I have one of my overblown lectures on our impressions of CBD on the hospital FB page Mercy Animal Hospital -the Rhode Island one.

Calliesmom, Piper's mom and Ann like this.
  2. The Quahog

The Quahog Forums Enthusiast

Dec 1, 2009
    Rhode island
    I received a PM saying this was a little difficult to understand. So, to simplify, the Cornell controlled study used about 1 mg per pound. Easy - 30 lb dog, 30 mg. ElleVet on their packaging suggests about half that much so about .5 mg per pound, 30 lb dog, 15 mg.
    Yes, I could have just said that, but wanted to explain that for some reason with CBD they just don't come out and say anything.

Calliesmom, Ann and Piper's mom like this.
  3. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    glad that you are able to explain any of it....:winkgrin:

Ann and Piper's mom like this.