Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

How much exercise is too much?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by GlennR, Feb 13, 2019.

1. GlennR

GlennR Forums Regular

Jan 11, 2019
    I worry, somewhat, about exercising Willow too much. She is so enthusiastic that I think she'd play if she had to drag herself to a toy. I want her to grow up strong and healthy but don't want to do so much that it is detrimental.

Are there any guidelines, is walking her ninety minutes a day too much? I usually let fetching go on for fifteen minutes and lure chasing five to ten minutes at a go. I carry her up and down the stairs as I don't want to stress her shoulders while she's still developing. Am I worried over nothing?

2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    I think it depends on your pace! Walking is OK, the most damage is done by sustained pounding on a young dog's body - ie: those folks who choose to jog/run with their pup. I have stopped people when I see them doing that with a 4 month old dog! It doesn't always make me popular but esp. in the breeds already disposed to joint issues, like Labs - it just makes me crazy. Some folks are actually happy I told them. I tell them, "Ask your vet if you don't believe me."

My vet always said walks were fine, chasing a ball for short periods, fine, until a year of age. So I never started agility until they were at least a year. If you let Willow go at her own speed, you are probably fine. Maybe break her walks up into 45 minutes twice daily? It sounds like that's what you are doing.

As we all know, a tired dog is a GOOD dog! ;)

Jams likes this.
  3. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Fetching is probably one of the worst exercises (as my dogs' physio pointed out). Watch how she turns when she fetches because it's the sharp stops and turns that put stress on the shoulders and can cause micro-tears.

As for walking, when Deska was young my vet actually said I was walking him too far. He was quite happy to walk up to an hour at a time, it was on dirt not asphalt and I'm not a fast walker. However, a sheepdog will just push on, they often don't know their limits. Anyway the vet said at 3 months should only be about 20min at a time, then add on 10 mins for every month of his age after that. So we did several short walks rather than 2 long walks. If I wanted to go out longer we'd walk somewhere, like an oval, where we could stop and have a potter or play before heading off again.

I think someone on SF once mentioned a rule of thumb for how long to walk a puppy, anyone remember it?