Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

How much Metacam is too much?

Discussion in 'Drugs & Medications' started by Daleford, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Daleford

Daleford Forums Regular

Jan 29, 2009
    My Burwick always had a problem with a limp a couple times a year so I always kept Metacam on hand. Now at almost 13 years old I see him slowing down and unable to jump up on the couch and not wanting to climb stairs. Also on hard floors his feet slip from under him a bit. So I experimented with a bit of Metacam for a few days. He seems stronger and more confident in his moves.
    However I am looking at the cost and wondering how often I should give it.

2. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Honestly I'd talk to your vet. Not sure when you got the last Metacam but you need to check his liver is ok, given his age. You should also look at getting injections, in Australia we have pentosan polysulfate (aka Xydax) and in the US they have, darn can't remember the name off the top of my head. I've found the pentosan injections work really well and it's relatively safe. With an NSAID the amount will vary. My Deska was diagnosed with severe arthritis 7years ago, at first he was on it a couple of times a week, then every second day. He's now on it daily (with breaks) but is only on half a dose and he takes a stomach protectorant. Deska gets 6-mthly bloods to ensure he can keep taking the NSAID.

You might also want to try a milder NSAID if you want to give it more often. Metacam is fine for irregular or acute use, but it tends to upset stomachs easily. Deska's on Previcox (recommended by the ortho vet) and I know from other SF members there's other newer arthritis drugs.

3. tofu pup

tofu pup Moderator

Aug 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I am not a vet! But you should really speak to yours.

Metacam is a great medication, but it's no joke - here in the states at least, you can only get it with a prescription. As Caro points out, it can cause liver and stomach issues. Anecdotally, my aunt's elderly Sheltie seemed to be made disoriented/groggy by Metacam (and bounced back when it was discontinued).

There are so many excellent medications out there to treat joint pain in dogs, including some that may be even less expensive than the Metacam. But you need to speak to your vet to figure out which one to pursue. Experimenting with dosages and timing isn't a great idea.

4. Sheltiemama

Sheltiemama Forums Enthusiast

Feb 15, 2012
    Indiana
    We have a little guy (18 lbs) and he gets a dose of Metacam for a 15 lb dog every morning. If we miss a dose, you can see it in his limp right away. It helps him a lot.