Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

How much to feed 9 month old puppy

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by kazie, Apr 12, 2019.

1. kazie

kazie Premium Member

Jul 30, 2018
    Utah
    Luna is 9 now months old and weighs about 18 pounds. She is very active and goes to doggie day care two or three times a week where she runs and plays with other dogs for most of the day. She absolutely LOVES it! The staff there say "Nobody has more fun than Luna." At home, we also spend a lot of time training and running in my yard which is about 3 acres. I've been feeding her 1/2 Cup of Wellness Puppy food twice a day as well as using some of her kibble as rewards during training. I can easily feel her ribs. Of course, since she's a Sheltie, she always acts like she's starving. I wonder if I should be feeding her more? I'm pretty sure she shouldn't get less. Suggestions?

2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I would definitely increase her food. Usually, 1/2 cup twice a day would be fine, but as active as she is and still growing, it sounds like she needs more. I'd either increase her to 3/4 cup or consider putting her back on puppy food until she's a year old. You could always give her 3/4 cup for one feeding and 1/2 for the other if she gets too chunky.

Remember, how much you feed should be based on your individual dog's needs ... if she's too thin, don't hesitate to increase what you give her and just monitor her weight.

3. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Yep, I had to increase Faith's food a bit (she's 6) when Eli came because the two of them were tearing around a lot and she was burning off more calories. Just monitor! It is so unhealthy for them to be overweight. And she is still growing.

Piper's mom likes this.
  4. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    At that age I sort of just use a test and see. Up her food for a few weeks and see if you like how she looks better. If she gets a bit thick, cut back. :)

Piper's mom likes this.
  5. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I wish Piper had lost weight since I got Finnie! With Piper being neutered and our coldddd winters AND my 90 year old mother feeding him treats when I'm working he's gained weight! Oh well, spring is FINALLY here so lots of walking (3 1/2 miles this morning)! I'll probably have to up Finnie's food though, he's nice and trim as it is.