Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

How Much to Feed??

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by Katie’s Mom, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Katie’s Mom

Katie’s Mom Premium Member

Feb 8, 2019
    Suffolk County,NY
    So I've changed Katie over from the breeder's Purina to Stella & Chewy raw coated kibble...the bag says puppy her size should be getting 1-3 cups per day...that seems to be a large spread...I give her 1.5-2 cups and she seems like she's always looking for more! Hoping all young puppy owners may chime in on how much they are feeding...Katie is 15 weeks old. (She's also pooping soooo much on this food!) IMG_3588.jpg

2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Wow! I've never fed Piper that much when he was small! I really don't know where they get those numbers from, they are so far off!
    Piper I fed 1 cup/day (he was on the smaller side). I'd base the amount you feed her on her current growth (what size does the breeder think she'll be), how's her current weight...if she's too chunky then cut back etc.
    I imagine if she's eating 2 cups a day she'd be pooping quite a bit lol.
    She is however adorable! I love that picture!

Katie’s Mom likes this.
  3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    How much you feed depends a lot on your food. Foods like Purina require higher amounts because they're less nutrient-rich. High quality foods, such as Stella & Chewy, are less because they're much more nutritious. I'm not familiar with their raw-coated kibble, but I've always fed puppies 1/2 cup three times a day of high-quality puppy kibble until six months of age, then 1/2 cup twice a day. Around six months, I switch them to adult food depending on their weight and growth.

One rule of thumb for all foods, no matter the brand: Never follow the feeding amount on the bag! They are always way high for the needs of a Sheltie.

kazie, KarenCurtis and Katie’s Mom like this.
  4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    That is the sweetest picture EVER! What an adorable expression...

5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    WOW, just looked at the Stella & Chewy food

Stella & Chewy's Dandy Lamb Dinner Patties
    Freeze-Dried Raw Dog Food
    25-oz bag: approx. 50 patties @ $50

8 patties per day for 25lb dog
    4 patties per meal

8 patties per day x 3 dogs = 24

1 $50 bag would ONLY last 2 days!
    That means I would be spending $750 a month for that food!

OMG - Who could afford that? I would be spending more on dog food than I spend on my human food per month!

Katie’s Mom and KarenCurtis like this.
  6. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    ADORABLE!!

Katie’s Mom likes this.
  7. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Yes, why do the manufacturers do this? To make more money I'm sure! This is one reason we see overweight dogs out there. We feed Sandstorm a little less than 3/4 cup of Blue Buffalo, twice a day.

Katie’s Mom and ghggp like this.
  8. Katie’s Mom

Katie’s Mom Premium Member

Feb 8, 2019
    Suffolk County,NY
    Yes the freeze dried raw is ridiculously expensive...I have so many coupons for the kibble so I thought I’d give it a try...I’m thinking we will eventually go with Instinct Raw and the freeze dried when traveling.

9. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    New York
    Your puppy is beyond cute! How much does she currently weight and what is her expected adult height & weight. My girl is 13 1/2 pounds now and as a puppy I fed her 1/3 cup of food 3x a day. As an adult, when she ate kibble, she ate 1/4 cup 2x a day. Much, much less than what the bag recommended. She is also a dog, who no matter how much she ate, will constantly look for food.

She currently eats Stella and Chewy's freeze dried patties. The recommended amount for her weight is 5 patties a day. She gets 3.

It is very expensive and freeze dried is the most expensive one, but it is much more convenient than the frozen patties. I wouldn't be able to afford it if I had multiple dogs or a large dog. The suggested amount for my dog is 5 patties a day. She actually only eats 3, so a bag lasts me about 10 days. It costs about $40 a bag, which means I spend about $120 a month. When she ate kibble, I think one $20 bag lasted 4-6 weeks. So a huge difference. But with all my dog's health issues, it is worth it.

I use the raw coated kibble for treats. She probably gets about 1/4 cup a day of treats.

Katie’s Mom likes this.
  10. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Just be sure if you feed purchased raw diet to subscribe to Dog Food Advisor alerts for recalls. Many of these types of foods have had recalls for salmonella and/or listeria. And I'm on the same theme - 1/2 cup of kibble twice daily for my crew.

Katie’s Mom and ghggp like this.