Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

How Often Should Your Dog Have a Fecal Exam?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by ghggp, Mar 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    OK - I will begin by saying...
    I have had so many bills concerning my dogs that the LAST thing I want to pay for is a fecal exam!

Do you really need one every year if your dog show no signs or symptoms of any issues?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Why would you get a fecal exam yearly? That's my opinion lol...I could se if your dog was having problems but otherwise I'd say no. Honestly I've never even heard of that.

3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I got a message that Logan was due for one. I think it is just a reason to make money for the vet!

Piper's mom likes this.
  4. Sharon7

Sharon7 Forums Enthusiast

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Our vet years ago started asking for fecal samples at every annual exam. I did it a couple of times and it was always negative. We don't have a big problem locally with really bad stuff like hookworms and whipworms, so I don't bother any more. However, there is ALWAYS a sample ready in the cat carrier by the time we get there....:dead: :lol:

5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Over my whole life of owning dogs I never ever did yearly fecal exams!
    I will have to for Beau as I have him signed up for obedience class and they require it as well as shot records! I had to do the same for Baron. Otherwise I would not bother!

6. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I'm with you on the vet bills, Gloria! My vet also likes to do one every year which I sometimes do and sometimes avoid. With multiple dogs and dogs at shows you do run the problem of picking up worms so I probably do it more than someone who just has one or two dogs would. However, if you have a dog that's a poop eater, or likes to snack from things like kitty litter boxes, it's a good thing to keep up on.

Also, many of the heartworm meds also have worming properties now, although they don't cover all the types. So that can help too.

ghggp likes this.
  7. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    We do it yearly. But Shelby eats everything she finds in the yard, so I think because of that we are a little more cautious.

RikyR and ghggp like this.
  8. Jams

Jams Premium Member

Sep 8, 2017
    My vet also asks for a fecal test with the yearly exam. He charges $18 for the test which I thought was reasonable. I also live in Florida with a climate that often "encourages" the bad stuff to thrive! I'm grateful the vet asked for a fecal sample at Toby's 6 month check up. It turned out he had giardia which cleared up with one round of medicine. He showed absolutely no symptoms so who knows when I would have caught it?!

RikyR likes this.