Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

How often to have anal glands expressed?

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Hannah, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Hannah

Hannah Forums Enthusiast

Mar 19, 2014
    NSW, Australia
    I'm just hoping to get a bit of a general idea with this one. I had my two shelties at the vet last week because they'd both been scooting a bit recently. Apparently Pepper's anal glands were very full and Honey's moderately so. The vet said to come back in three months to see where they're at, and it may need to be done on a fairly regular basis.

Is this normal for shelties? My dogs are four and five and between them I've only had their anal glands done a couple of times before in their lives. I feel bad that it had got bad recently but it wasn't until the scooting that I noticed a problem... however they've been a bit smelly lately but I didn't register that it might be an anal gland issue. I'm thinking I might need to make some changes to their diets. Any info/ideas would be appreciated :)

2. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Deska only had it done by the vet when we were working out why he was scooting (his glands were fine) and Tully never. I was told it has a lot to do with their diet, of course I can't tell you what in particular (except for bones because they firm up the stool, but they don't get that now). But maybe it's like humans where they need fibre.

3. Hannah

Hannah Forums Enthusiast

Mar 19, 2014
    NSW, Australia
    Hi Caro, thanks! Interesting. Yes, I read somewhere that it could be a sign of not enough fibre. I hope you guys are going well :smile2:

Caro likes this.
  4. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    I should mention, as Deska gets older he has more bowel issues so the vet has me adding 1 teaspoon of psyllum husk to their meals. Definitely firms up the stool (sometimes Tully's is a little too firm). So I wonder if that would help?

Hannah likes this.
  5. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Finally! Something I know about!! I used to be a groomer, so I expressed anal glands by the hundreds! I even taught how in my Sheltie club. Learning saves money and time.

I express my dogs' glands every time I bathe them. Place your middle finger and thumb on either side of the anus. Push back in toward the dog and you can often feel the round glands (but not always). Push in and squeeze. It squirts and smells to high heaven, so don't look closely as you squeeze.

Hannah likes this.
  6. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    That's one reason I add a spoonful of pure, canned pumpkin to every meal my dogs get. It's full of fiber and although one or another may occasionally need the glands expressed, it's very infrequent.

KarenCurtis, Hannah and Piper's mom like this.
  7. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    oh my... what a video! I have never had to do Gavin's glands and he has never scooted. we have been grain free for over 10 years. I hope to never have to do the anal glands...just sayin'

ghggp, Jams, Hannah and 2 others like this.
  8. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    I read an interesting article by Dr.Karen Becker just a few days ago regarding anal glands (I was beginning to think Piper had a problem, turned out he was just a tad constipated lol) and a lot of it has to do with diet. When a dog has a firm bowel movement just the process of passing it helps to keep their anal glands clear (it's actually their way of scenting their poop so other dogs smell it)...if your dog has looser or soft poop then they don't work to keep the glands from filling.
    She also mentioned that doing them too often can actually bruise the anal glands thus causing more problems down the line (some groomers do them on a monthly basis).
    I would try to add some fibre to the diet if the poop isn't firm to ensure they keep them clean.
    Years ago my mom had a Cocker and he ate THE WORST diet (I was a teenager and didn't know any better then), and he was always having them done...now I know why lol.

Hanne and Hannah like this.
  9. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Noooooo...you couldn't pay me enough to do that!:ROFLMAO:

Hanne, ghggp, Chris and 1 other person like this.
  10. Hannah

Hannah Forums Enthusiast

Mar 19, 2014
    NSW, Australia
    Thanks Chris! Very informative! I'm not sure I could do it tho :sick: