Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

How old is old?

Discussion in 'Senior Sheltie Health' started by Cindy, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    So as an owner of a limping dog, I ALWAYS get people offering advice.
    Yesterday morning I just lost it. After my normal explanation of 'he's an old dog with a bad leg' didn't work, then I had to go into the cancer radiation neuropathy which didn't work either (he didn't know what neuropathy was, should have just walked away at that). This guy just HAD to tell me a dozen times about this fabulous supplement for old dogs that transformed some neighbors 3 dogs. Now Gavin is in amazing shape besides his leg, and this guy was just annoying me and he knew it. I just couldn't bring myself to tell him to STFU and leave me alone, or tell him supplements aren't clinically tested and unless there is a specific deficiency or issue you are addressing they are worthless. Cause how could a middle aged white woman possibly know anything better than a guy with a 3 year old pit bull?

But it begs the question, does 15 qualify as an old dog?

2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Reminds me of the story of an old friend of mine and her rescue! He had to have his hip joint operated on to help his mobility. As she was walking to help build his strength a guy asked what was wrong with the dog as he was limping. She explained the surgery to him. His next question was how much did it cost? She replied $3,000. The guy gasped and said why don’t you just put him down! As the dog was only five she asked, do you have kids? He got flustered and said yes! Her next question was have they ever been in an accident? Yes, he replied, my daughter broke her arm once! In response my friend walked away saying maybe you should have put her to sleep then!

Can’t fix STUPID!

RikyR, Hanne, Calliesmom and 4 others like this.
  3. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    "I'm so glad your neighbors had a good result. We are way past supplements in my dogs treatment. Have a nice day!"
    Exit stage right LOL

RikyR, Calliesmom, Ann and 4 others like this.
  4. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Wow. It would have gotten me upset also, but I think Margi's answer above is perfect. I hate it when people ask how old a dog is and then make some comment if you say they are "11, 12, etc" like "how long do they live?" Argggh. I always feel like if I put a number on it, it's like a self-fulfilling prophecy, call me superstitious. Usually I just say "Many years" and let it go.

We all know the lengths you've gone to, to keep Gavin mobile and as healthy as he can be. :hugs

Piper's mom, ghggp, Hanne and 2 others like this.
  5. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Sometimes you just smile, think thoughts in your head, thank someone for totally inappropriate, unsolicited advice and walk away.....

We had a cat, blind, lived to 22, would wander off and end up at a neighbors who would call (their house was similar to ours).. Mom endured comments about Cindy. Cindy gratefully dropped dead of a heart attack on her own time. I currently have a 12, almost 13 year old doxie. He has cataracts, is completely deaf, has kidney disease and on a bad day cannot control his urine - a challenge to have - Yesterday he escaped and I was the crazy neighbor lady trying to chase and retrieve a deaf dog. Let them shake their heads, give bad advise, walk away and be greatful you're not like them. :)

6. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    kept trying to walk away, but he kept re-engaging. I see him walking his dog at least 3-4 times a week on my block when I have Gavin out, so if I was completely rude things could get unpleasant.

I am so proud of my sweet 15 year old boy.....and I hate when people try and make him (and me) less than we are

7. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Don't even think like that! Nothing anybody else says means anything unless you allow it. You might want to practice your polite brush offs though :)
    "Gotta scoot! Lots of errands today!" Actually I wouldn't even stop for that person anymore--just smile, hello and hurry on by. If he starts up, call over your shoulder as you keep moving. LOL

8. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    I get so sick of the try my supplement crowd. I get it on FB - post a pic of an old dog and suddenly you get unsolicited advice: at least I can block them. But I am amazed the number of people that will still try to push their crap over my 'Tully is under the care of an IMS and a Vet nutritionist, so unless you have better qualifications than them and scientific, peer-reviewed research to back up your supplement, then I don't want to hear about it.' My worst experience recently was the new pet store manager (who used to be a roofer) who went on and on that there is no such thing as IBD in dogs! Needless to say, I avoid that store.

I think we are brought up to be far too polite andpeople like this take advantage of it. Ah to be the type that can just say F-off. Mind you, I have done that a few times since getting Della - with owners that start with yelling 'my dog is friendly' as the dog bolts uncontrollably toward us.

9. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA

Piper's mom, Caro and Sandy in CT like this.
  10. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    In light of the question I thought people might be interested in this (sorry to side track the question). A research project run by the University of Liverpool (UK) 'Using citizen science to develop a ‘Canine Ageing and Wellbeing’ tool for use in veterinary practice'. It asks people to provide responses to questions like when does a dog become old, what exercise does an old dog need. You can subscribe on the website (https://www.petsavers.org.uk/our-re...uqhCl_GRfdUsGX7v7dFU6nZCCaPML7Up3O9s4GN1MQ4Og) or provide responses on their FB page (https://www.facebook.com/oldagepets/)

Sandy in CT, Piper's mom and Sharon7 like this.