Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

How old was your pup when they started calming down?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by DianeP, Oct 10, 2019.

1. DianeP

DianeP Forums Regular

Sep 8, 2019
    Middleton, WI
    Hi,
    Mindy is 11 months old today and we realize over the last few weeks she’s calmed down quite a bit. She’ll nap on her own now and doesn’t demand constant attention all day.

Just wondering if other pups are similar?

Diane and Mindy

2. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    Angus has always been mellow, he can get going with Spitfire but is pretty calm. Sca was a wildman until about 2 and could still get fired up when he was 8. He was also always on patrol and monitoring me (something Angus is doing more with age). Spitfire marches to his own band so I will leave him off the list.

Sharon7 likes this.
  3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I'd say Piper mellowed a bit by 3 but he can still get going at the drop of a hat (or just a look from me lol). Finnie has certainly slowed down but only minutely...certainly more focus and pays more attention but still lots of puppy in him at 19 months!

4. DianeP

DianeP Forums Regular

Sep 8, 2019
    Middleton, WI
    I’m relieved Mindy doesn’t need entertainment24 hours a day, but part of me misses it, too! <3

5. Roberta

Roberta Premium Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Chicago area
    My youngest Maxine is just over 2 years old and she finally seems to be calming down - but just a little. She naps now in the afternoon and evening but is still frequently wild and goofy. She races around the house and pesters her 12 year old brother who seems to enjoy it. I've had 4 Shelties so far (3 males - 1 female) and going from memory I would say that mine starting calming down at about 2 years old. I don't know if gender makes a difference, but I think my female is a little wilder than my males were at the same age.

6. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Willow takes most things in stride and had been confident enough to take naps on her own for a good while. She is just shy of a year old now. She hasn't calmed down about meeting people or dogs though, she still is manic to see them and firmly convinced that they will all love her.

7. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    My Faith is still a wild child and she turned 7 on Oct 6! Not that she can't settle down, but she is sort of an intense dog - like a Border Collie. Eli is two now and he has calmed down from when we got him at a year old, but he can still rev it up. He loves to bounce off us when we get home after being gone (even if it's 10 minutes, LOL).

Hanne likes this.
  8. pomshe

pomshe Forums Regular

Apr 6, 2015
    Pittsburgh
    My Cody (now 14+) has always been pretty calm, but I got him at 10+ months, so can't say what he was like as a puppy. My Jesse is a wild child. He has started to calm down a little at 20 months, but only just a little. I am hopeful that he will continue to calm down.:)

9. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Layla was born mellow and cooperative. All our puppies receive very early leash and basics training, and that helps.

10. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Paris, Ontario CANADA
    Cooper is still a bit of a wild child at 7 months. A big wild child lol. He is so good about some things, but the jump when he says hello to people is still a challenge. His time to go nuts is after dinner and that’s when we take the longest hike with him, heaven knows what we will do once the freezing cold and snow hits...I’m wondering how long it would take to teach him to walk on my treadmill