Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

How shall I Puppy proof/prep?

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by JulesJKM, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    None of me have been car sick
    - when I retrieved Minnie, I had my sister as well as the dog cage from my previous dogs.
    The plan was to put Minnie in the cage first and if she became upset, she would get on my lap
    - she should not start with a trauma.

She slept until we were on a ferry, then she sat on my lap the next hour and when we had to drive 1 hour again, she was also in the cage without any problems.

I always have my puppies in bed at night - we also tie a tight band that way.
    As they move, it's out and doing business and going to bed again

Personally, I do not like to confining a puppy/dogs in my home.
    - So I do not use cages inside
    - a baby gate that Margi mentions is perfect for just shielding the dog.

- Rules in the house teach the puppy being with us, exactly like a child.

it can be a bit more difficult when you have smaller children at the same time - since a Sheltie is very sensitive.

It is difficult with a puppy and requires a job :wink2:
    But do we do the job well - in the end it gives "paws" :lol:

A link to us new Sheltie owners so we may better understand this little sensitive breed.
    http://sheltieforums.com/threads/are-shelties-for-everyone.22964/

JulesJKM likes this.
  2. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    I second Dr Ian Dunbar's "Before you get your puppy" https://www.dogstardaily.com/files/BEFORE You Get Your Puppy.pdf and "After you get your puppy" https://www.dogstardaily.com/files/downloads/AFTER_You_Get_Your_Puppy.pdf

I prefer a puppy play pen (an xpen) rather than crate, but you definitely need something with the ages of your children. Your puppy will need a safe place to retreat to and also somewhere you can put the puppy for your children's safety. Remember puppies are very mouthy, and may jump and nip when over excited, a play pen allows the pup to stay in the room but at a safe distance (esp if you have other young children around). Also, teach your children puppy's safe place - so if your puppy goes into it's crate or pen (or another place you choose) then they are to leave the puppy alone.

As mentioned, everything is fair game for chewing

JulesJKM and ghggp like this.
  3. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    Thanks Caro! There's a also a book called "Before and After Getting Your Puppy". I'm not sure whether it's a compilation of the other 2 books, but just wanted to put this link up as well :) https://www.amazon.com/Before-After.../ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

JulesJKM and Caro like this.
  4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I second Gloria's suggestions and would just add a few things.

Yes, he can sit in your lap for the ride home, but for safety, bring along a small laundry basket or box that you can hold and line it with a towel. He's a puppy and will no doubt get squirmy during that long a period. He'll also be safer somewhat confined.

As to storing children's toys, take the same precautions that you would for a toddler. EVERYTHING will find its way into a puppy's mouth. If you don't want it chewed or destroyed, keep it out of reach. More importantly, make sure that small items such as marbles and plastic toy pieces are not left on the floor. They can cause an obstruction if he swallows things like that which result in a serious and expensive surgery.

For those times when you can't supervise him closely, do invest in the pen Gloria suggested -- I have the same one and use it for rehabbing sick or injured dogs who need to be restricted too.

Good luck with your new family member. Enjoy him and post some pictures for us once he's home!

JulesJKM and Calliesmom like this.
  5. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    Ann's not kidding on this one!!!!! My Skylar snatched a piece of corn cob off the sidewalk (while on a 4 foot leash!!!!!!!!) and had to have the serious and expensive surgery. Thankfully she's fine now. But puppies can and do put EVERYTHING in their mouths. I have also caught Skylar licking the electrical outlets (now they are all covered) and chewing on an electrical cord (those are now all out of reach). Puppies can get into things you would never even consider. So really, finding a way to restrict access in some way is crucial to protecting your puppy. Thankfully, Skylar has become a (tiny bit) less destructive as she's matured but she sure gave me a run for my money when she was younger. My first puppy, Spirit, never touched a thing (except paper) so Skylar caught me completely off guard!!!!! When I only had Spirit, I didn't understand why people thought puppies were so much work ;-) Then Skylar came to live with me.......

Ann, JulesJKM, Jams and 2 others like this.
  6. Lexi

Lexi Forums Regular

May 1, 2015
    Europe
    My first was next to me or in my lap for the whole 8h of driving. It was raining as hell for the whole time and at car stops he didin't want to pee or poo on the grass so he did it in the car. It was a bit messy but you can't stop on a highway.. he was never car sick and his first time in the car was when we took him. My second one was used to car rides because the breeder took them out for adventures from their 3 weeks.. we met half way and that was the first time she was sick in the car. Than we put her in our travel box and she wasn't sick to our home. Than at us she was sometimes sick in the car when we drove to our club. I than figured it out that she was making herself anxious with moving in the crate when she knew we were near the traing place because she often vomited 30m before I stopped the car and for the first 30km all was ok. So I put a blanket on the crate and that made things better. But sometimes she could get sick only at a 5min ride. And interesting thing was that 95% of the time she was always sick to our way to some place but on the way back she was fine.. So I tried various things but the crate was the best because otherwise she was more anxious. She eventualy stopped being sick at nearly 11 months of age. So from april till now she wasn't sick. And I hope she won't be anymore..

JulesJKM likes this.
  7. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Here I was expecting the worst when Finnie came home because Piper had been so bad! Piper would chew on everything..destroyed his dog bed, toys, chewed on his baby gate (loved wood lol) and probably a lot more things I've forgotten about after 3 years lol. And here's Finnie who doesn't chew on anything (maybe the occasional toilet paper roll lol). I puppy proofed EVERYTHING....put books in bins, all cords hidden (fortunately I live in an older house and most electrical outlets are high on the wall), and many rooms inaccessible to his wandering. You just never know lol.

JulesJKM likes this.
  8. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    After reading all these good advice - and Caro wrote "nip" :yes:

Then I came to mind - that you must be aware that Shelties are shepherds and some puppy's are very "shepherds" (my english) :uhoh:
    and will therefore try to collect the sheep = the children when they run around - by "nipping" them

just so you are aware - it is not because they are bad, but they feel it is their job :wink2: