Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

How soon is too soon?

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by Christina, Dec 7, 2018 at 5:55 AM.

1. Christina

Christina Forums Regular

Aug 12, 2018
    Baby girl is arriving in a week and a day (very excited!). This is my first dog and I obviously want to do everything right. How soon is too soon to introduce her to 'scary' loud sounds like a vacuum and hairdryer? I want her to be tolerant of these sounds as I plan to blowdry her hair after baths etc. But I also don't want to give her any scary formative experiences!
    Advice would be very appreciated! Also any other advice on what I might not be aware of as a first time dog owner would be too!

2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    How exciting, Christina! Be sure to have a place ready for your puppy to sleep and where she can be contained when you can't watch her. I highly recommend a crate for overnights and when you're out until she's potty trained. Get one that is large enough for her to stand up and turn around in when she's grown. Have lots of soft towels that can be washed to put inside it.

Accustoming puppies to sound is a great idea. I have a CD that you can get on Amazon with all sorts of sounds on it, from vacuums to crowd to fireworks. I play it in the background for puppies at least once a day for months.

Good luck and be sure to share photos when she arrives!

KarenCurtis, ghggp and Christina like this.
  3. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

I would hold puppy Gavin while vacuuming. dont know if it helped as he as always been noise insensitive.

4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I think with Finnie I started pretty much a few days after I got him (you still have to clean right? Lol) but I would have him be in another room at first when I was vacuuming. Later, I would vacuum in a room with him in his crate but holding them is a good idea too...or you could hold her and turn the vacuum (or any loud appliance) on and give treats while it's running.
    Such exciting times for you!

ghggp likes this.
  5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    KarenCurtis and Christina like this.
  6. Christina

Christina Forums Regular

Aug 12, 2018
  7. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I believe you need to post 10 times before you can post images/videos.

Once you have met that minimum you can use an image sharing website and embed the link to your content.

Here is a video of my new puppy I posted to YouTube

KarenCurtis and Hanne like this.
  8. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Fifteen minutes after I brought Layla home, my DH decided to pick up a spill with the dustbuster -- right beside her. Before I could stop him, he turned it on. Eight week old Layla jumped on the thing and defended her new Mamma from the monster. :lol: To be fair, her breeder had been acclimating the puppies to loud noises since they left the whelping room.

Please do yourself a huge favor and get The Art of Raising a Puppy by The Monks of New Skete. It is genuinely the best puppy book put there.

Congratulations, Christina!!

9. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    links to youtube/photo sites can be included in any post- they'll just be checked by a moderator before the post is approved if the poster is still new....

ghggp likes this.
  10. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    The first few days the puppy should know my home

As I never use cage inside for my dogs, they are with me all the time
    - so I did the things that are normal in my home but with caution.

Right at the beginning I have a small baby grid for the doorway - when I wash the floor :winkgrin:

In my country it is normal for us to take our puppies on tiny walks after a few days to become socialized.