Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

How to choose a trainer

Discussion in 'Sheltie Training' started by mimiretz, Jan 29, 2018.

1. mimiretz

mimiretz Forums Enthusiast

Oct 14, 2014
    denver
    Since the summer, Oberon has developed some new bad, rude habits. He barks when I'm on the phone, puts his paws up on the table when we're eating, and barks at our new refrigerator's icemaker. Nothing aggressive, just misbehaving and rude! This is in addition to his nonstop barking when the doorbell rings. He will stop barking when I'm on the phone if I throw treats for him, but I don't want him getting used to having treats all the time. I'm also pretty sure that the icemaker barking is because it makes noise, and he's pretty sensitive to machine-type noises.

Bottom line is we've decided we need a session or two with an in-home trainer to work on these specific behaviors. I've talked to a couple, but am unsure as to how to figure out which would be best. Any hints or ideas on how to choose? Obviously we'll only go with someone who supports positive reinforcement (although saying no or ignoring him isn't something we're adverse to - as long as that's as negative as it gets). Other than that, though, how do we make the decision?

2. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    Look for someone who would come for a free consultation, ask them how they will resolve the issues and let them know you are not going to use your hands, squirt bottle, punishing collars to achieve the results you want.

Cara Sandler likes this.
  3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I would also consider an obedience trainer that you like or who has come highly recommended by someone you trust. They might be able to recommend a trainer to help you. I had some success with Laddie barking every time the doorbell rang too. I put pennies in a pop can and rattled it to distract him. Then when he was quiet, even for a few seconds I gave him a treat! That worked for a while, but eventually, I gave up thinking it was better for him to bark so anyone coming by the house would hear it... protection I guess...

4. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    I have problems with Beau barking and lunging at the doorbell, and barking and following people around the house. I am happy to report he is progressing nicely on both--with LOTS of work. I bought the Treat N Train and a mat, I've been following the protocol. I can now go out my front door without him budging (I am returning fairly quickly), my sons can go upstairs without him following, and "sometimes" he doesn't race toward the doorbell. I am in the process of fading the treats for the stairs, and extending the time for the other things. It has been working really well.

5. mimiretz

mimiretz Forums Enthusiast

Oct 14, 2014
    denver
    We ended up hiring one of the trainers and, with lots of practice, are pleased to report that I can talk on the phone and get ice with minimal issues. We treat randomly, because with as smart as these dogs are there's no doubt he'd bark and stop just to get the treat. The door is still an issue, but even with that he's getting better, not as wound up as he used to be and quicker to quiet down.

corbinam likes this.