Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

How to keep dogs cool at outdoor show

Discussion in 'Getting Started in Conformation' started by Piper's mom, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I have Finnie entered in a show, he's entered on this Friday and Sunday. However it's outside and the temperature on Friday is supposed to be in the low 90's...how do you keep your dog's cool? The other Sheltie folk are setting up a kitchen tent to groom in but I'm not sure if there'll be room for us to sit in so I may have to get a beach umbrella for shade. I was thinking of getting a space bag and filling it with ice and placing it under the pan in his crate but I don't know how long it'll last as he's entered in a show at 10:30, another following that and then one at 1 pm and all outside. I have Piper entered in obedience but that's inside however I won't have time to take Piper home until after the second show so he may have to be outside for some of the time as well (I don't want to leave him inside unattended). We are having an unusually hot summer here and the dogs are hating it (as am I...100 yesterday and you don't want to do anything when it's that hot!).

2. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    That’s tough. If it were here I’d probably try to find a way to get them in the AC for a bit (like your car). But if that’s not an option, I really love my Ryobi fan. It pushes out a ton of air.

3. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    Here in South Florida, I put cooling pads on the bottom of the dogs' crates, they each have a battery operated fan blowing on them, I set their crates up inside a little tent, and I have a heat reflecting shade that I cover the crates with. It seems to work just fine.

4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Shade cloths and fans. we generally don't need more than that as we don't have outdoor trials in the summer......

5. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    When I do outdoor summer shows I like to work from my car rather than the grooming tent. I always groom at home for outdoor shows so all I have to do when I get there is fluff and do last minute touches. That way I can plan to arrive shortly before ring time.

I have a reflective mesh shade blanket so I can raise the back hatch of my car where the crate is and clip it to that. You can find them on Amazon or on the dog sites. I also have a battery operated fan. I like working from the car because it allows me the ability to wait there for ring time and run the a/c if it's really hot.

corbinam and ghggp like this.
  6. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Thanks for the great ideas! I've never had to worry about these things before as obedience is always indoors (there is one outdoor show but I don't attend that one). The more I think about it the more I think it's not a good idea to set up outside...id wanted to be near the breeder in case I needed some help but since I will have Piper inside (and he'd have a harder time handling the heat with his coat) I'd just be better off setting up inside and going out closer to his show. Friday will be super busy for Finnie as he's entered in the puppy sweeps (Sheltie special), then the Sheltie specialty right after that one and then at probably 1:30 the all breed. I'm hoping that I'll have time to run Piper home after the specialty (this show is close to home) so he can rest up for Saturday...Piper is entered in 3 trials on Saturday (2 of them a Sheltie specialty trial) and I really want him to shine there!

7. tofu pup

tofu pup Moderator

Aug 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    One thing to think about, if you haven't already... (look out, totally unsolicited advice incoming.)

I know you are going to be extremely busy on the day of the show! But if it is at all possible, I recommend that you take some time to just sit outside the ring and watch the conformation judging. You won't really know what you're looking at yet, but that's okay - just look at each dog, and watch how the judging goes. It will help you develop the "eye" to prepare and present your own dog. It will also give you a sense of the rhythm and norms in the ring.

Because there is a specialty, you will (probably) be watching a breeder-judge and will (likely) see a larger entry, with more quality, than you would at the average all-breed show. Take the opportunity to just sit and watch, if you can.

Have fun!

8. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Thank you for you advice Tofupup, it's much appreciated! Your absolutely correct, there is a larger entry in the specialty than in the regular shows. I'm worried that I haven't spent enough time working with Finnie, plus he is terribly afraid of being placed on the table (it's gotten better, at least he's not crying anymore) , and I don't have his speed down yet....to fast and he wants to play lol. At least he doesn't pace. Obedience is so much easier...you know what you need to do and what'll cost you your title lol.

9. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    No kidding... that is why I am only in obedience too! :yes:

Piper's mom likes this.
  10. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    yes- performance showing is much more objective- not completely but you can usually figure out why you didn't qualify/win.......

Piper's mom likes this.