Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

How to prevent Sheltie from getting his legs caught in the crate?

Discussion in 'Crates & Beds' started by angelnov90gmail.com, Jul 21, 2019.

1. angelnov90gmail.com

angelnov90gmail.com Forums Regular

May 24, 2019
    Hi,

My Sheltie Theon LOVES his crate and sometimes sleeps upside down. He is five months, I've had him for almost two days and he will go to the vet this Friday for microchipping and rabies shot. I just want to see if there is safe way to line the crate with padding that doesn't make it hotter or pose some other hazard. Most crates I see have the same distance between bars, I don't want to use a carrier because it has less airflow.

His previous owner (reputable breeder) says this behavior is adorable and gave me heads up before I took him home. I'm worried that he'll get suddenly wake up and get his leg caught since he is a light sleeper and reacts to loud noises outside (sometimes a moron will zoom down the street with his muscle car). Right now his back legs are propped up, resting on the crate.

This morning, he woke up with his leg asleep, moments later he walked and ran normally. I texted his previous owner and she said that sleeping awkwardly is fairly normal and she's not worried. Maybe he actually briefly hurt it because I woke up the sound of him play-rolling in his crate this morning and he was upside down, smiling at me. But I think his leg was just asleep.

Thanks!

2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    EE4DCE53-7F87-4317-B963-08961DEE79EE.jpeg 9CF02F6F-BD5E-42A0-A539-A775CF66C53A.jpeg Could you go to your local hardware store a get them to cut pieces of plexiglass to fit the crate dimensions? Drill small holes strategically to attach the plexiglass to the side bars? Sounds like a bit of work but you would only need enough to go part way up.

My boy also slept on his back in his crate and I never had any issues!

I also got him a puppy play pen!

Good luck

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  3. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I LOVE this pen! Don't know what I would do without it!! Liam loves it too! Adorable!!

ghggp and Piper's mom like this.
  4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Both my boys liked to sleep on their backs when they were pups and they never got their legs caught in the crate. Of course I started them both out in a small crate and transitioned them to a larger crate when they were bigger so it was never an issue.

ghggp likes this.
  5. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Crib bumpers! Check Amazon.

6. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    We never had a problem either. Shelby is now only crated when we are at nosework class. And she likes to lay in the crate (on her belly) with her feet sticking out the front of the crate.