Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

How to secure crate in car.

Discussion in 'Other Equipment' started by Sabbilicious, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Sabbilicious

Sabbilicious Forums Regular

Jul 3, 2011
    Moncton, NB
    I am getting a wire crate, and I want to know how to secure it in the car..we have a dodge caliber, and will flip the seat down..but I can't think of anything to really secure the crate to.

This is a picture of the trunk.

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn52/onwheelsinc/JP009_005CP.jpg (obviously not my car..but just to give you an idea)

could I maybe hook it to the little things on the back of the seats? I am also not sure what to use.

2. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    We finagled a couple bungee cords through various hooks in the back of my husband's SUV then through the wires in the crate. Hard to explain, but there wasn't really a science to it. You could also maybe hook them through the headrests in the back seat if there aren't any hooks in the ceiling or on the sides.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  3. MissSuzie

MissSuzie Forums Enthusiast

Nov 19, 2008
    Beautiful SW Florida
    I bought some webbing type straps at the auto supply store which I wrap around the crate and under the seat backs which are folded down. It works great in my SUV.

4. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    The best thing to do is jam it behind the rear seats. Next best is to secure it low, somewhere around the base. Do not use bungee cords or cable ties. Cable ties will snap, and bungees will not stop forward motion. I have two crates in my van, on a platform that has eye bolts keeping the crates from sliding off the platform; jammed behind the rear seats, which will also stop forward motion; and then they are tied together the length of the three sides with nylon parachute cord. The platform is tied to tie downs in the rear, but I don't really expect those to hold, which is why the middle seats are still in.

5. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    Someone needs to invent something similar to the bolts/tethers they use to secure a child's car seat.

6. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Yes, I didn't mention that I have the seats up, and then the bungee cords are hooked in to prevent sliding when driving.

7. Lightplum

Lightplum Forums Sage

Jan 4, 2009
    Rhode Island
  8. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ