Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

How to train to alert properly

Discussion in 'Sheltie Training' started by kayla, Apr 24, 2018.

1. kayla

kayla Forums Regular

Aug 1, 2017
    Because of a shelties nature they alert you when something strange is happening like a knock on the door or intruder or whatever it may be they bark. I’ve taught my Yuki to not bark but I’ve let her do her huff and puff thing she does so I know if there is something suspicious. The problem is she’s not trained to do it with an actual intruder she just does it with anything abnormal. I’m not even sure how to train her for this because I would need a handful of strangers to enter my apartment haha. She’s been doing the alert for my roommates which is what I don’t want . Because she gets me all paranoid for nothing. They leave for work at like 5am when I’m sleeping so Yuki thinks maybe there’s an intruder. But I want her to be able to smell who it is and alert or not alert. I’m paranoid and have fear of being alone so her alerting me when there’s an actual stranger is good for me. She’s done this one before naturally when the maintenance man came by.

Any ideas on how to get her to alert on actual strangers ? And not roommates?

2. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    That's tough--I wish I had some advice for you! My guys bark when my husband or I get home! :)