Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

I am so out of touch with the cost of a Sheltie!

Discussion in 'Considering a Sheltie?' started by Lahree, Sep 15, 2018.

1. Lahree

Lahree Forums Enthusiast

Dec 15, 2008
    North Texas
    So, my husband and I are in the very early stages of considering the possibility to getting another Sheltie. We want a companion pet (vs. show) adult or a much older puppy.

When we got Ellie almost 10 years ago, she was $800 as a pet. It looks like the range is now $1,500 up to $2,500 in Texas! Holy Smokes! I about had a heart attack! There is no WAY we can pay that! As we all know, buying the dog is just the first time you pay out, as we all know, then there is spay or neuter, food, health care, etc.

Shetlie rescues in the state (or even in neighboring OK) don't have a good match for us.

Feeling defeated before I even get started!

2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I know exactly how you feel!

I have rescued most of my Shelties in the past and they have been 6 years and older. Yes, I tried rescues out of state and they all said NO out of state adoptions allowed!

So, that led me to contact breeders who had older dogs at a reduced price. That is how I ended up with Baron. Could not find another rescue when I decided to get Liam my puppy. He was certainly more than I had ever spent on a Sheltie!

I will IM you and give another option where I got Beau and Logan.

Did you try the Rescue link on SN?
    Here is one that has several Shelties available in Texas!
    http://www.houstonsheltiesanctuary.com/shelties/available-shelties

It is so hard when your heart is ready but the options are slim. Keep the faith... I have come to learn, it is never on my timing, but a greater power at work!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    Lahree likes this.
  3. Lahree

Lahree Forums Enthusiast

Dec 15, 2008
    North Texas
    Thanks so much for your reply and your private message!

We are patient and will wait for the right match. I bevel it will all come together if it's meant to be!

ghggp likes this.
  4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    It can be very costly, I know I was shocked that the cost for a puppy here jumped 200.00 from the time I got my first Sheltie 3 years ago until now when I got my second (and both from the same breeder). You could always look out of state (I'm in Canada but I believe in some states the cost fluctuates), you could check out ASSA for breeders. Good luck!

Lahree likes this.
  5. Lahree

Lahree Forums Enthusiast

Dec 15, 2008
    North Texas
    I put an "Wanted" ad on Everything Sheltie. Maybe things will work out that way. :)
    Thanks! I am going to check out some reputable breeders in Oklahoma. We'll see!

6. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Lahree, do contact breeders from the ASSA or AKC lists. Many times, breeders have older dogs that they are willing to sell because they've sized out of the show ring or are retired. Sometimes, they'll cost less than a puppy. You can find emails for most breeders on the ASSA or AKC.org sites. It doesn't hurt to send an email...you never know!

Lahree and ghggp like this.
  7. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    Reputable breeder's pups can definitely be expensive. Our last sheltie is 4.5 now and he was just under 1K.

Lahree likes this.
  8. Bailey's Mom

Bailey's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    We were fortunate in that we weren't seeking a puppy. Since we struck out with Sheltie Rescue we did search the breeder network and we met a wonderful breeder who wanted a good home for Annie as she was clearly destined for a pet home, not show. She was 2 when we got her and her breeder had her spayed. We discovered that is a breeder by breeder issue with older than puppy placements. This breeder wanted to make sure she saw the dog through the process. The price was more than what we'd have paid for a dog through Sheltie Rescue, but not prohibitively more and we had much more information about her background, health, etc.

It sounds like you are willing to wait for the right fit and no matter which route you go puppy or older than puppy this is extremely important. Annie was not the only dog we were offered but she was the only dog that was a good fit for our family. Along with your research, listen to those gut feelings that tell you this is right or walk or run away. It can be hard because I know in this area there aren't lots of available Shelties, but it is worth finding the right dog.

9. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    I have gotten the last 4 of my 6 lifetime Shelties as older dogs from 2 quality breeders. Ally was 1.5 years, Brooke 7, retired show dog and had had 3 litters, Faith at 2 years, and now Eli at 1 year. Lots of things can happen along the way to de-rail a potential show dog, height, teeth, undescended testicle, ears, etc. I would imagine the cost is a good discount from the price of a puppy, our last one was. Good luck Lahree. Our experience is dogs have come to us in unexpected ways, but I agree with Ann; find some good breeders and email them. Make sure they know you've had Sheltie(s) before, that's often important with this breed. Good luck and I hope it all works out.

10. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Most of my friends charge $1200 for pet puppies. Texas is overcharging. Go through the ASSA breeder list.

Lahree likes this.