Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

I finally brought a Dremel

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by Caro, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    So you'd think after reading about your Dremels for the past 10 years I would have one by now! But you know with Deska's aversion to power tools I avoided the dreaded Dremel and just clipped and filed nails.

Well Tully now has a nail growing under her paw so I relented and brought a Dremel Micro. I'll let you know how I go - it's gonna be interesting, I'm nervous already, she has such little feet and black nails!

Piper's mom, ghggp and Wendy C like this.
  2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    You will do fine. I have never hit the quick ever using the Dremel!
    I have cut the quick many times with clippers!

The benefit of the Dremel is it takes off so little at a time on slow speed.

Let us know how it goes!

Piper's mom and Caro like this.
  3. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    My dogs wouldn't have the patience for a Dremel. When I have another puppy, I'll get one.

Piper's mom likes this.
  4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    I hate those black nails, Finnie has more black than clear but at least with the Dremel I don't worry about going too short. It's funny, Finnie with all his issues (hates grooming table, doesn't like to be put on his side, hates to be picked up) is better with the Dremel than Piper is. Piper has the most sensitive back paws he's forever trying to pull the paw away! Even when I give him a bath and I rinse him, that spray of water on his feet he hates too!

5. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    So far no good, Tully walked off in me. I've got the finest sanding head on, should I try a courser one to be faster?
    Looks like the quick in the overgrown nail is quite low. But I'm pretty useless at holding the magnifying light (lights the black nail) and the paw and Dremel. I really need a third hand.

6. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Fillion pitches an absolute fit about his back feet! I finally got tired of fighting him and started smearing some peanut butter on the grooming arm post. Distracts him long enough I can quickly dremel his back nails.

My replacement battery came yesterday--I only got two years out of the last one. Maybe they just don't make em to last anymore. It sure made a difference on high speed. I use a pedi-paws replacement sanding wheel on the dremel--its bigger and courser and gets it done quicker!

Caro and Piper's mom like this.
  7. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    for lighting- get a head lamp so you don't need to hold it. they also sell those with magnifying flipdowns....
    mine know that cookies come at the end so they are willing to endure the dremel.
    when I started, it was a cookie after every nail- now, it's when all four paws are done......

Margi, Caro and Piper's mom like this.
  8. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Mine has lasted me 4 years so far! Perhaps I should order another battery now, it hold only enough charge to do 2 dogs now.

Calliesmom and Wendy C like this.
  9. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    My first that came with the dremel lasted pretty long, but when I got the replacement from Dremel on amazon, it only made it two years before I was constantly recharging, plus it wasn't powering the motor like it should either. Didn't realize that until I used the fresh one for the first time!

ghggp, Calliesmom and Piper's mom like this.
  10. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Minnie has 9 black nails

I use "between" sanding head
    Quickly switches between the nails as sandpaper can make the nail warm.

I have never hit a nerve with the grinder

Minnie is lying on her back in my lap

I sweep the paw into a towel so the machine can not get hold of her coat (terribly - tried)

Ann, Caro, Calliesmom and 1 other person like this.