Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

I hate thunderstorms!

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by DianeP, May 26, 2020.

1. DianeP

DianeP Forums Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2019
    Middleton, WI
    Really, I’m just whining here, but I hate thunderstorms! Mindy gets worried and hides. We have meds on board but it is so upsetting to see her like this. Just makes me sad, sad, sad....there, I knew you people would understand! Thx!

Hanne, GlennR, Ann and 4 others like this.
  2. TheDailyPainter

TheDailyPainter Forums Enthusiast

Sep 19, 2019
    I hate them too. River shows his angst by barking at them and if they happen at night there is no sleep to be had. I'm thinking of getting his car crate and putting it in bedroom with a blanket covering the door so he cant see the light flash...maybe he would be calmer in there.

Sandy in CT, Darren and Calliesmom like this.
  3. DianeP

DianeP Forums Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2019
    Middleton, WI
    One of our old Shelties used to do that! That is terrible, too. There was no calming her. I used to practically lie on top of her at night.

Darren and Calliesmom like this.
  4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    My Liam is terrified of thunderstorms too. We have had success using the thundershirt. Have you tried that?

Darren and Calliesmom like this.
  5. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    we have lots of thunderstorms here in the summer- Dixie reacts to the noise and wants to chase off the uninvited intruders:rolleyes2:
    sometimes she gets backup but I try to keep them occupied so that the noise is less interesting..................

Sharon7, RikyR and Darren like this.
  6. DianeP

DianeP Forums Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2019
    Middleton, WI
    We have, but it doesn’t do too much for Mindy. She HATES the Velcro noise. That gets her even more worked up than the thunder!:)

Calliesmom and Darren like this.
  7. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I should try that with Finnie, I totally forgot I bought one for him last November. He barks like crazy and of course gets Piper barking lol. Always worse when it happens at night. Just a few days ago we had a few rumbles (not much more than that fortunately) and I grabbed Finnie (we were in bed)and managed to hold him until he settled down. Luckily the storm passed quickly and we all slept good lol.

Hanne, Calliesmom and Darren like this.
  8. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Ah, I know exactly what you mean. Deska was a nightmare during thunder storms. But he'd try to attack them rather than hide - broke a front window when he was young, also got out and I had to chase him in the rain for 2 hours until I got him. The hardest thing is when it goes on and on and on.

Two things that did help a little - I put him in a harness and kept the harness attached to me (even when it was overnight thunder and I'd nod off with the lead attached to my wrist). I think it helped him knowing he was with me. Also, I shut us all in the bedroom with the radio on, so he couldn't run around or get himself worked up. I've heard of other people who make blanket forts and sit inside them with their anxious dogs. Apparently being in a small space with their owner is comforting. I just did it because Deska's barking was so bad I didn't want to wake my neighbour.

I also used to play the Edinburgh Military Tattoo as it had enough sounds to drown out the thunder. But then Deska developed a hatred of bagpipes (and gosh you'd be amazed how often we'd come across a piper). Then I cottoned onto whale sounds - he would sit under the stereo with his head cocked and listen. Relaxation music also helped (loved the Tony O'Connor), esp to calm him down afterwards. Although during a loud storm it was just better to have talkback radio on.

Btw - the thinking on calming your dog during a storm has changed over recent years. It's okay to comfort and hold them, you are not reinforcing the behaviour.

Last edited: May 27, 2020
    Piper's mom, Sharon7, Hanne and 2 others like this.
  9. TheDailyPainter

TheDailyPainter Forums Enthusiast

Sep 19, 2019
    I have a thundershirt but it didn't work on my last dog so I lost faith it would work on River. I'll have to try it, but I'm sure I forgot how to put it on.(n)

Piper's mom and Darren like this.
  10. pomshe

pomshe Forums Enthusiast

Apr 6, 2015
    Pittsburgh
    I have been very lucky that none of my dogs react to thunderstorms - now fireworks close by is another story!:(

Piper's mom, Hanne and Darren like this.