Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

I hate...

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by GlennR, Feb 10, 2020.

1. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    I really hate when annual vaccinations come round. I try to keep them to a minimum but there are some that are unavoidable to keep your dog safe.

Willow loves her vet and her vet loves Willow so that part is okay but I hate seeing Willow suffering. I know she hurts as she has spent most of the day in her crate. I hate to see her bouncy personality diminished in any fashion. I split her shots into two sessions to try to make it easier for her.

With any luck, she'll have bounced back by tomorrow. Meantime, she's getting some treats, if only to make me feel like I can do something for her.

Ann, Sharon7, TheDailyPainter and 2 others like this.
  2. DianeP

DianeP Forums Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2019
    Middleton, WI
    The vaccinations are a real bugaboo. We’ve started getting titers whenever possible so that we know we aren’t vaccinating unnecessarily. We started doing this with our previous dogs when they became senior, but we are doing it with little Mindy now. Waiting to get the blood draw results back to find out if she can skip her her distemper parvovirus shot. Hope Willow feels better soon.

jomuir, GlennR, Ann and 2 others like this.
  3. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    I have to say, none of mine have ever really had a down day due to vaccines. Distemper/parvo is only every 3 years and the only annual one for us if for Lepto. You probably have to do Lyme though I imagine.

Hope Willow feels back to herself tomorrow!!

GlennR likes this.
  4. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Poor Willow. The Shelties of Nattering Springs send good luck wishes.

GlennR likes this.
  5. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Willow is eating normally and she isn't curled up at the back of her crate, so that much is good. However, she has established a two-foot boundary. She won't let me get any farther away from her than that. We went for a slow walk this morning, about a mile. She heeled the whole way without me asking her to. Instead of sleeping beside me, she's sleeping on me.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Animals/Willow/i-7Fv2M7R/0/5519312c/X2/WIN_20200211_09_17_35_Pro-X2.jpg

I'm sure she'll continue to recover. I personally think part of the problem is she is at the bottom weight for the range her medicine doses apply to so she gets a proportionately large amount, She ends up getting the same dose as a sixty-pound dog. If she was a pound lighter, she'd get a smaller amount. Doses are pre-measured these days for many things. I'm no vet or biologist so perhaps I'm wrong.

Sharon7 likes this.
  6. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    Also last time she let you get away she got poked and prodded :whistle:

jomuir, Sharon7 and GlennR like this.
  7. Hanne

Hanne Premium Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Minnie just takes it as - "to day we go to the vet" :yes:
    and not discovering at all - that she is being vaccinated,
    she is getting a treat at the same moment.
    she behaves completely normal afterwards.

Glenn I think Willow can sense your state of mind :wink2:
    (as I did when my kids were young because they were crying)

I have had the same vet for more than 30 years
    so we talk a lot - a vaccination I do not think much about

The only thing I really worry about is
    to be happy and not show concern.:winkgrin:

8. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Although what you suggest might be true, I don't believe that Willow is comfortable at all after her shots and I don't think it's because I worry about her. She spent almost all of yesterday in her crate. I sure didn't put her in there. She's walking stiffly today and won't lay down for long on her side. I think it's pretty clear that she has pain from her vaccination sites. I am sure she'll recover just fine as she did last year after her shots but I do remember it took a couple of days before she returned to normal. She has spent the last half hour just standing beside where I'm sitting. She's panting. It's not all in my mind or all in her mind.

Hanne likes this.
  9. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Glenn, my Lacey had a very similar reaction the first time I had her vaccinated for one of the standard shots when she was young. She was so uncomfortable the next day she wouldn't come out of her crate, and didn't want to move when she did. I had my vet mark the reaction on her chart, and going forward they had me treat her with one 25 mg. Benadryl before she went in for shots. You might talk to your vet about doing that. We never ever give two vaccines at once either, as you're doing.

The other thing I do now with all my dogs is to do a titer for all the major vaccines after they finish their initial puppy shots, as Diane said. Not one of my dogs has ever needed a booster after that first one, other than rabies which we have to do by law every three years. It's worth the money, especially for a dog that has reactions to shots.

I hope Willow is feeling better soon. It took Lacey a full 48 hours before she was back to normal. Give Princess Wilow a gentle pat for me.

10. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Ann, thank you so much for sharing your experience. I am going to go the titer route after this year.

Calliesmom, Ann and Sandy in CT like this.