Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

I is at the vet…

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Piper's mom, Oct 12, 2021 at 5:24 PM.

1. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    818B1139-BA01-4070-9E02-A15104E28196.jpeg Piper has had a cough for the past several days…I thought initially Kennel Cough but he hasn’t been anywhere although the other two were but they’re both ok. Now that our vet is in today I thought it’d be a good idea to get him checked out. It sounds like a bit of a honk with a gagging sound at the end (he had kennel cough when he was 2)…I thought if nothing else he may need an antibiotic. Last night when I was trying to fall asleep I remembered how sick Monty was a year ago…of course Piper hasn’t coughed since this morning and is his usual perky self!
    The picture is as we wait…we’re here as a walk in so may be awhile.

Caro, Darren, Sandy in CT and 5 others like this.
  2. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Hopefully Piper is fine when he gets checked out...and what a sweet picture of your boy. Fingers crossed for good news!!
    Trini

3. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    hope things work out and Piper's ok.
    Destin had kennel cough as a youngster- he still has some coughing fits on occasion.

Darren, Sandy in CT, trini and 2 others like this.
  4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Fingers crossed for Piper! There's a lot of coughing going around here, mostly picked up at dog parks, shows and competitions it seems. I hope Piper is OK and you're done and home soon!

5. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Everything looks good for Piper…chest is clear, no crackles or fluid and no heart murmur. Vet said it’s more likely kennel cough which of course is a broad term for a variety of viruses.
    It’s quite possible he picked it up from either Blueberry or Finnie and it’s conceivable that they won’t get it…I’m thinking it was Finnie’s class last Monday when we brought it home with us.
    Piper says thanks for the well wishes…he says he enjoyed his vet visit but didn’t like the temperature check lol!

Darren, Sandy in CT, RikyR and 5 others like this.
  6. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Good news, Lisa. Glad he's OK! Thanks for the update!

7. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Thought I’d mention I’m also giving Piper CBD oil (animal version) and I really think this has helped lessen the coughing.

Darren, Ann, Sandy in CT and 2 others like this.
  8. Ron Atkinson

Ron Atkinson Premium Member

Oct 5, 2019
    Sugarcreek, Ohio
    Glad you had a successful vet visit Best Wishes to you both BTW That is a really nice picture. :)

Darren, Ann, Sandy in CT and 2 others like this.
  9. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Glad he's ok! Such a handsome man!
    Isn't it awful our dogs can't do any bodily function wrong without setting us off? Somebody coughs or sneezes I'm all "Are you all right??"
    I told the breeder once these dogs can't fart wrong in this house.

Darren, Ann, Sandy in CT and 3 others like this.
  10. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    I’m just hoping the other two don’t get it! I’ve started them on CBD oil as well as a preventative...it’s an anti inflammatory and boosts the immune system, they also get spirulina. Here’s a link for those interested in using Spirulina https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/benefits-of-spirulina/
    That and diet is probably why Piper doesn’t have a very bad case of it.
    At least the vet visit cleared my mind...she checked his trachea (it was normal) and they only charged me for a brief office visit ($60 instead of 80) and she took his temperature lol plus wasn’t our regular vet. I’d mentioned I work for Homecare so perhaps she was giving me a break. Very nice of her!

Darren, Ann, Sandy in CT and 3 others like this.