Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

I love my boy!

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Cindy, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    Gavin comes to visit me on my bed 4 or more times a night, climbing up and down a ramp next to my bed. Initially I put it up for him to get down from my bed instead of jumping after bedtime snuggles (when I would put him on my bed), but Gavin would not be denied! He doesn't go up when I'm not there either.

He likes to cuddle up with me on the couch with his head on my knee. He literally crawl in my lap and puts his head on my laptop until I put it away. Such a sweetheart!

And now he has a new spot by my feet for when he is too hot from snuggling on the couch. I literally have to step over him to get up from my spot on the couch.

Gavin has become such a love bug in his old age since he lost his hearing 2 years ago. I didn't think I could love him more.....but I do!

JacqueZ, KarenCurtis, Sharon7 and 7 others like this.
  2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Sage

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    That's so sweet Cindy! You do so much for him, from the rehab to all the walks you do with him and making your home more accessible to him so he can snuggle with you! All of this has helped to cement the bond you have. It's wonderful that he's able to get around better now so he can come onto the bed and snuggle with you.
    It's funny, I heard a story on the radio today that something like 61% of people would rather have the dog sleep with them than their spouse! I don't have a spouse but if I did I'd still rather have my dog with me than a spouse (or two dogs lol).

Calliesmom, Ann and ghggp like this.
  3. Hanne

Hanne Premium Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    oh Cindy what a love statement to Cavin :hugs

only we "dog people" can understand such a love :yes:

4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    You took the words right out of my mouth Lisa! There is nothing sweeter than this bond of mutual love a affection! Warms my heart!

5. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    You're so lucky, Fillion is only up with me for a few min. each night. Benson has yet to even sit down on the bed, much less lay down.

6. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Gavin had a walk this morning..he literally hasn't moved in almost an hour....as in the motion detector on the webcam has detected no motion from him!
    This morning he jumped on the couch as soon as I left as is still there :)

As much as I always wanted a dog who would sleep with me (Gavin would usually cuddle with me for 5 minutes then jump down, and maybe jump up once during the night if it wasn't too warm out), it has some drawbacks so be careful what you wish for! Gavin sleeps by my feet and is a bed hog, I find myself on less than half of the bed if he is up there, always enjoy spreading out once he goes down but then I move over when he comes back up! I get woken up quite a bit when he goes up and down the ramp as it isn't quiet even though everything is carpeted. quality of sleep has definitely been affected.

KarenCurtis, Calliesmom and Hanne like this.
  7. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Yep sometimes the "romantic" notion of sleeping with your dog is better than the reality! All of our Shelties have been bed hogs and some so sound-sensitive that the least sound in the night sent them off the bed barking - not something I can tolerate especially when I was working as a nurse, I need my sleep! So they cuddle with us in bed and then sleep in a separate room in their own beds.

Brookie was always the best and most considerate sleeper, so we'd make exception for her sometimes, especially if one of us was out of town. I sure miss my girl.

Calliesmom likes this.
  8. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    I will never kick my boy off the bed..he deserves as content a retirement as possible.
    But boy, the nights I can sleep through the up and down are a welcome relief :)
    I can tell by his panting that it is an effort for him to go up the ramp, so he must think its worth it!

Hanne, Calliesmom and Piper's mom like this.
  9. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Sage

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Yup...my boys (Piper and Finnie) will always share my bed (Riley can't do the stairs , and for some reason in this house he doesn't like the 2nd floor...70 yr old house...maybe a ghost or two lol).

RikyR and Calliesmom like this.
  10. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    My husband and I have always had just a double bed. Sandstorm takes up 1/4 of the bed, husband takes up 1/2 of the bed, and I get the left over 1/4 of it. Yes, I'm small.

Hanne, Piper's mom and Sandy in CT like this.