Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

I miss playing with Sandstorm

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by KarenCurtis, Jul 13, 2019 at 3:57 PM.

1. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Sandstorm will be 10 on July 29th. As many of you know, he was diagnosed with a slight heart murmur, saw the cardiologist in April, she said there's no need for medication yet. He's been a real trooper regarding Minnie, I'm proud of him. While sometimes he chases Minnie around the living room, which is fun to watch, he no longer plays. I miss it. When I'm playing fetch with Minnie, I'm having fun, she looks so cute when she's running towards me, but I'm seeing Sandstorm and trying to remember how he looked when we were doing this, and how much he loved to run too. Feeling sad, thanks for listening.

Tabitha, Hanne, Wendy C and 4 others like this.
  2. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    I went through the same thing when we got Mango, it's really hard missing the one on one time, even while you see how happy they are with a new friend, and how much joy the new companion brings you too. With Honey, while she's never gone back to playing fetch as much as she used to, she did start asserting herself more during play time. She'll now bring me toys for tug of war, and we wrestle and push yoga balls around, and she still leads me on chases around tables or chairs.

I hope sandstorm continues to do well health wise.

KarenCurtis likes this.
  3. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    Awww... I totally get this since Gavin can't really run and play anymore. Sounds like he might be older and not wanting to play since he still runs around a bit. Remember he is the equivalent of 60-70. And he might enjoy snuggles and cuddles now in a way he didn't before. We get to experience the whole life cycle of our dogs, from pup to senior, so to us these changes are harder to adjust to I think.

And yes, I have days when I miss the Gavin from 5 years ago, all the hiking and running and his happy face when I came home from work. I just try and focus on all the new snuggles I get! Probably helps I don't have a puppy to remind me, though.

Sandy in CT and KarenCurtis like this.
  4. KarenCurtis

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I wish their lives weren't so accelerated!

5. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    Yes, I know. Gavin was in such great health and spirits that at 10 he underwent radiation for cancer and bounced back fabulously. It wasn't until he got hurt at almost 12 that I had to admit he was a senior dog. I had even taken him backpacking a few months before he got hurt! Maybe the lack of a slow decline let me fool myself that he wasn't getting older....But I know he only has 2-3 years left at most even though he is in good health except for his one bad leg and dozens of lipomas all over his body. I don't know which saddens me more, him having less time or more time (because more time probably means he will end up in his wheelchair with limited ability to walk)

KarenCurtis likes this.
  6. KarenCurtis

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I didn't want to admit SS was a senior dog either, but when I did we decided to get Minnie!!

Sharon7 and Chris like this.
  7. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I know what you mean Karen, I used to love watching Riley run! Before he had his health problems he was faster than Piper! But he does like to cuddle more now than ever before. And Piper I used to feel so guilty when I first got Finnie but now they're best buds. I can't play with Finnie without Piper getting in on it lol!

8. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I have watched Layla slow down over this past year especially. She sleeps until noon most days. Still, she does give a little romp now and then, chasing her brother Colonel Underpants. And she still wants to play tug. But yes, I can see the changes. Karen, enjoy every second with Sargent Sandstorm -- he has many happy years ahead.

9. KarenCurtis

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Sandstorm here! i is a gud dog! i chase my sister minnie! i is a happy dog!

10. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Big Minnie here:
    You know Sandstorm - happy dog = happy mom :yes:

Piper's mom likes this.