Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

I scheduled Minnie's spay, question

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by KarenCurtis, Jan 15, 2020.

1. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Hi everyone. I scheduled Minnie's spay for Wednesday, February 19th, Minnie will be 11 months old by then. Question; they only do spays on Wednesdays, I have that week off, but we only have six days home with her, the day of the spay, and five days after that. Should this be okay? I'm assuming the surgery will go fine. Thanks for any imput.
    Karen

2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Sage

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I'd say that's plenty of time. I had no time off when I did Finnie, in fact my sister had to pick him up for me and he was good. Usually I would schedule it so I had at least 2 days off but wasn't able to this time. It's normally two weeks healing time but a lot of that into second week is keeping them from jumping and running.

KarenCurtis and Ann like this.
  3. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Assuming she's crated when you're back to work, and not bothering the incison, it should be fine. They heal so quick when they are young.

KarenCurtis and Ann like this.
  4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I agree with Sharon, she'll be fine, but I would crate her when you're not home until her stitches come out. They don't know they're supposed to behave, even when they're well!

KarenCurtis likes this.
  5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Can they do stairs?

6. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Our vet said to avoid stairs. We had Willow wearing a onesie, actually, we had two so we could wash one if needed and put on the other. It worked really well, much easier than her dealing with a cone. We had also had an inflatable collar but never had to put it to use.

Willow thought she was back to normal in two or three days but we kept her on a restricted regimen longer than that. I think we kept it up for a week.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    KarenCurtis, Ann and ghggp like this.
  7. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Sage

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I let Finnie do stairs (it's a very small incision on a boy) but he was always on a leash outside and in the house I taught him to go slow up the stairs. Of course he was ALWAYS crated when I was working or out.
    He's a very good boy who loves his crate.

Ann and ghggp like this.
  8. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Well, you see what liam is like in his crate! He hates it!
    At least working from home I can keep an eye on him.
    I got the inflatable collar for him.

KarenCurtis, Piper's mom and Ann like this.
  9. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Sage

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    He'll be good in the crate especially knowing your home. It's funny but before I started doing crate games with Finnie he hated his crate too (not quite to the extent that Liam is lol) but now I just have to stand beside it and he'll go running into it, no hesitation and no crying or barking afterwards. And I haven't done any work with him on it for a month!
    Liam would definitely benefit from it.

Ann and KarenCurtis like this.
  10. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I'm hoping I can keep Minnie in her pen? What do you all think? She's fine in there during the day now.

Ann likes this.