Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

I stocked up on dog food ...But forgot puppy chews!!

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Elei, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Elei

Elei Premium Member

Jul 10, 2019
    Kip is giving me a 'C minus' on COVID-19 preparedness.
    I have at least a 6 week supply of dog food, and 2 months supply of heartworm meds. I thought I was well prepared - but I didn't think to buy any long lasting chews for Kip. He finally lost that last baby tooth, and is frantically chewing everything in sight. At least I still have his kong, but that occupies him for 2 seconds! My clothes are full of holes, and anything he gets his teeth on is devoured in an instant!

So yesterday I ordered some turkey tendons and other long lasting chews on Amazon. It will be at least a week, probably longer before they come, due to shipping delays. I don't normally buy dog treats & chews on Amazon, so I spent ages pouring over the 1000s of choices, feeling confused. Oh well, I'd better get used to this!

Do any of you buy rawhide or bully sticks (or other chews?) on Amazon, and if so is there a brand/seller you like?

2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Oh no...bad hooman lol. I don't tend to buy those off Amazon but then I usually just make my own. If you don't have a dehydrator you could make some sweet potato chews in the oven (if you have some of course), I've never dried carrots but I imagine you could. I usually slice and parboil for just a couple minutes then dry with paper towel. In oven you'd do a low temperature for several hours (I use a dehydrator so not 100% sure on temp, maybe 250-275 with oven door left open a wee bit). Lots of recipes out there. Makes a yummy chew my guys love.

Darren, Hanne and TheDailyPainter like this.
  3. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
  4. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    I get the Best Bully sticks cow ears off Amazon and last time I got the Jack and pup cow ears. I have tried the 50 count of ears, don't remember the brand, that come from Brazil I think. They were fine, just very thick. I like to cut them in half if I can, and those were too thick. Fillion is a voracious chewer and can polish off a cow's ear in about an hour. So I go through tons of ears. It's their evening entertainment, so I factor in the cow ear to their daily diet intake.

Piper's mom likes this.
  5. Elei

Elei Premium Member

Jul 10, 2019
    Sadly, I don't have any carrots or sweet potatoes. But I'm growing some, so eventually. Kip does like carrots! I'm going to make him some frozen yogurt and see if that occupies his sharp teeth:biggrin2:

Piper's mom likes this.
  6. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    That's a good idea! I've just got a batch of sweet potato drying. You could order some sweet potato chews from Amazon or Chewy.

7. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    I just dug out all the empty cardboard toilet rolls (got more of them than actual toilet rolls), sealed the ends, cut a few holes and that's Kismet's chew thing. I put kibble inside and then she can happily chew the cardboard when she's finished.

Sharon7 and Piper's mom like this.
  8. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    DH just ordered more dog food and treats from Chewy. Not only do we not have paper products, non perishables and chicken in our grocery stores, we also do not have dog food on our shelves. Guess we have to get used to ordering everything.

Ann and Piper's mom like this.
  9. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    That's how I managed to get toilet paper, by ordering from a local store that delivers. I'm good for a month.

10. Elei

Elei Premium Member

Jul 10, 2019
    Good idea with the paper rolls, Caro! Kip likes chewing on cardboard.
    No dog food? Yikes! I heard that Petco is going to do curbside pick up, so that might be a safer option once I eventually run out of dog food.

Chewy.com doesn't ship to Hawaii.

In Hawaii, we now have confirmed community spread, plus 2 more cases on my island. The island might go into lock down, so I don't know if I'll even be allowed to go to the post office to pick up my packages? Hopefully...
    Stay safe everyone!!!!!!

Piper's mom, Sharon7 and Caro like this.