Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Icky coprophagia help

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Caro, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    I've always read your stories of poo eating Shelties with relief that mine don't. So it is with absolute disgust that I must say that Della has started eating Tully's poo.

Now Della has previously gotten the kitty cakes and ate the puppy poop when I first got Kismet. I think eating the Tully poop started when I put Tully on home cooked fish and vegetables. Della gets Pro Plan salmon.

Tully's poop is hard to find, it's rabbit-sized or runny, she poo walks, and goes about 6 times a day.

I had one thought. If I give Della some tuna for dinner, do you think that would stop her wanting to eat Tully's poop or just make her eat her own and the pups? For those more experienced what do you think?

In the meantime Della's not getting cuddles because I can't stand the smell of her breath.

Sandy in CT, Piper's mom and Hanne like this.
  2. Hanne

Hanne Premium Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Caro - so sorry i can not help you very much,
    unfortunately do not think it helps to feed her with some tuna
    - but do not hurt - now it is probably become a habit.

It could be that Tully do not absorbing everything that Della can recycle.
    in most cases it is natural behavior
    - can advantageously be required with a fiber rich food
    as it gives a greater degree of satiety.
    - more, smaller portions feed every day.
    It can make the dog feel more satiety
    - a bad functioning pancreas, but that is rarely the case.

The nasty smell
    - here I would say cat poop :ick not small Tully poop

Sharon7, Sandy in CT and Piper's mom like this.
  3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Such a hard nut to crack! My only way to solve the problem is to pick up as soon as it comes out!

It is a totally disgusting habit! Liam also poops and walks! Makes it that much harder to find and discard.

I feel for you!

Sharon7 and Piper's mom like this.
  4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Sorry I can't help you Caro...I've caught Finnie doing this but strangely only in winter. Is there anything you could give her to help her breath, maybe a homemade cookie with parsley might help? I agree with Hanne though, maybe feeding Della smaller meals throughout the day will help dissuade her from eating poop?
    I did read an article about fecal matter transplant, how this can help to stop this behaviour. They take the fecal matter from a healthy dog that's been fed an appropriate healthy diet and inject it into the dogs rectum (several steps in addition to ensure the dog has a healthy gut) and it can help clear up a number of illnesses. It's also being used in people. Not sure if there are any vets that are doing this in Australia.

Hanne likes this.
  5. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Tully has IBD so she may not be absorbing everything. Funny I don't think she did it when Tully was on commercial food. So it could be the protein?

Della gets fed 3-4 times a day, same as Tully. And Della gets lots of vegetables - maybe that's a problem and she needs more protein?

Gosh I hope it's not her pancreas, can't afford another dog with pancreatitis/IBD.

No fecal transplants in my state. They do it for certain types of IBD interstate. But it's not really an option anyway with Covid lockdown.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    Hanne and Piper's mom like this.
  6. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Connecticut
    Caro, the good news is it's likely there's nothing wrong with Della. She's just being a dog. Unfortunately, this behavior is baked into some; I have no idea why and neither does my vet. My observation is that it's definitely genetic. Sprite's line are terrible poop eaters; my others do it too, but like Lisa's, only in the winter when it's cold and crunchy. :poop: (Eeuuuwww)

I have tried every remedy known for it and there is none other than the pooper scooper. I have been known to race Sprite to a dog who's going to grab it first. My neighbors must love the specatacle. I can almost hear them placing bets on who gets there first, and it isn't me!

People seem to have some success with adding canned pineapple to the poopee's food but I don't know if Tully can have that. The most reliable aid that I've found is to give them all a good probiotic, every day. And stand guard with the scooper. Hopefully Della will outgrow it!

Hanne, ghggp, Caro and 3 others like this.
  7. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Thanks for the hearty chuckle this morning with that visual LOL!
    Koko has now started eating I am guessing Fillion's poop. I don't think its his own. Why at 12+ years?? So now I am out there with the lobby broom morning and night scrounging around in the gravel trying to find it before he does. If I'm lucky and see one going, I'm out there like a flash too!

ghggp, Caro, Ann and 3 others like this.
  8. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    I have no idea why dogs do this. I did get a good chuckle out of picturing Ann racings Sprite to poo!

Our first doxie, Buddy, was a poop eater. I tried pumpkin and pineapple and the 'don't eat poo' additives and I tell you, they don't work! With Buddy I think it wasn't so much a dietary thing, I swear he liked the flavor! And, he was soooooo bad, he would literally stand with mouth open at Kooper's hiney waiting for the 'fresh out of the oven' treats! Ugh! Ewww! I NEVER, EVER, EVER allowed him to 'kiss' me - eeew, gross, yuck!

At first, he would do sort of a self clean up. We only let the dogs poo in one section of our lawn (we had 3 kids running through grass), so if he poo'd anywhere else, he was kind enough to clean up his own mess. He never liked rain, doxies think they are made of sugar and will melt, so he'd sneak off in our living room and poo under the piano and then again, self clean, odor was always a dead giveaway though. But then I think he developed a taste for it and it became such a battle. The standing at Kooper's hiney almost tossed me over the edge.

Thankfully, neither Brodie nor Kooper eat poo!

I never found a reason, I never found a solution. My only advice is to try and nip it in the bud somehow before she decides she likes it. Probably sound mean to some of you, but I feel it can be a health issue, I mean - it's poo, not filet mignon - I would sprinkle lots of Cayenne Pepper on poo and leave it out and see if she tries to eat it, see if the pepper scares her off. If you can't break the habit, you'll have years of dealing with the worms and ickies that go along with this disgusting habit. Best of luck! If you find something that works, please do share!

Hanne, ghggp, RikyR and 3 others like this.
  9. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Connecticut
    The other thing that does work is a strong "Drop it!" command. As long as you're out there watching for the poop stalking armed with a tasty treat if she obeys, that's really the only way I know to discourage the behavior.

We have another problem here: Rabbits. Every summer, they invade our dog yard overnight to party, leaving behind their delightful little kibble-sized droppings. In the grass, where you can't see them. Every morning, I have five heads grazing like cows for what is apparently doggie crack. That's when the command comes in handy. I admit that some listen, and some don't. But it's worth a try.
    Good luck!! :gaah

Hanne, ghggp, Sharon7 and 4 others like this.
  10. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    That's so funny and yet sooo true! My guys love rabbit poop although we seem to have more in the winter than in summer (and easier to see in the snow). But I figure rabbit poop is au naturel what with all the grass and grains rabbits eat lol.

ghggp, RikyR and Ann like this.