Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Ideas for muzzle

Discussion in 'Other Equipment' started by Caro, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    I know, it sounds awful, but I need to get a muzzle for Tully. She has bad IBD and chronic pancreatitis and a crumb of the wrong thing sends her into days of diarrhea and illness.

She is small with a huge amount of fur at the back of her neck and, as a result, can slip out of just about anything (except her martingale). The muzzle needs to be either enclosed or long enough that her nose doesn't poke out the end.

She'll only wear it in the backyard and after class so I'm not worried about her needing to pant or drink. Unfortunately in the backyard the birds often drop food, and after class it's a minefield of dropped treats (I use her stroller to get equipment to and from class so she has to walk).

Ideas?

2. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Caro - I would also have trouble with a muzzle,
    but from the other side it is because you want to spare her when she is outside
    and that would count more for me

But can you get some where they can't pick up something with their tongue ??

3. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Hanne, I do need a muzzle that has a closed front so she can't get her tongue through. Poor girl, she's so hungry she tries to put her tongue through the chicken wire to get the bird feed! She's on steroids so gets very, very hungry. But picking up the wrong thing could kill her - it's very scary.

I was thinking something like a greyhound muzzle, but much smaller.

Hanne likes this.
  4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
  5. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Na, that would be off in 2 seconds flat. I'm not sure what the idea of the overhead strap is, but for a Sheltie it's just more traction to pull it off.

Here's a side shot of Tully's head - see how much fur is at the back? That's why she's always been able to get head collars off.

Tully side head.jpg
    I saw this one, it has a strap underneath which may hold it on, but the dimensions aren't right (small neck is too tight, but medium basket is too large)
    https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B01MYM0GPE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A4XRJ8S0WXSO0&psc=1

These greyhound muzzles are lightweight so I thought would be better - but of course way too big. That said, I have no idea what would be comfortable.
    https://sielearning.tafensw.edu.au/toolboxes/toolbox801/site/greyhound/1_catch_restrain/3_restrain/10_simple_restr/1_act_quiz/1128.jpg

Ann and ghggp like this.
  6. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    She is such a cutie!!!!
    I sure hope you find one that works for her. Sounds like it is so scary worrying about things she can eat making her sick.

7. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    I've even wondered if I should put an e-collar on her when she goes outside.

8. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I don't have any muzzle knowledge but I feel for you, Caro. Mine are scavengers who aren't above dining on bird seed or random flower petals too, but they don't have Tully's gastro issues fortunately. Honestly, I think the e-collar might be your best bet. You can get a soft traditional one or maybe one of the tube styles wide enough that her head can't reach things on the ground.

9. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    I only have to muzzle Layla on the trains in France, so I'm no help. We use a very soft on that basically dangles.

10. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    SheepOfBlue and ghggp like this.