Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

I'm a believer.

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by GlennR, Sep 21, 2019.

1. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    I've read a lot about how Shelties do well together and how they seem to recognize another Sheltie. Today we met another young female Sheltie.

From fifty feet away, Willow and this young sable started to pull and try to get to each other. When we got close enough they met nose to nose and commenced to play on lead, both wagging head to tail. They twirled, ran circles around us, play-bowed. lay down together nose to nose and then start it all over again.

They played in an identical fashion, it was like a mirror image was playing with Willow. Anyway, the thing is, I didn't really think it would be so amazing. You'd think they'd choreographed their moves. We'll be trying to set up some playdates.

2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Excellent! What a wonderful encounter. Nothing better than meeting another sheltie addict!

3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    You know we will be expecting pictures and a video!!!

Hanne, Sharon7, Sandy in CT and 4 others like this.
  4. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Shelties are so rare around here that when we do meet another one, the other owner usually is up for arranging a playdate! Yes, Shelties DO know each other. They have a particular style of play, very unlike Labs which are the most common breed here. I'm so glad Willow will have a new friend to play with. I was going to suggest, Glenn, to contact your breeder and see if any of Willow's littermates are in your area - perhaps the breeder would be willing to initiate contact for you so she could visit her sibling(s)?

Now you see first hand why so many of us have multiple Shelties! (y)

5. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    That is SO cool! Must have been so much fun to see. I think it's because Shelties are simply the smartest breed around, LOL. Not only do they know other Shelties, but I know firsthand that they know their relatives too. When we have our grown puppies come to visit, they always know their mom!

6. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I see that everytime Piper and Finnie play and it amazes me every time! I've never seen it in other dogs (I know other dogs play, but it's the way Sheltie's play...) I love it!

7. MissyGallant

MissyGallant Premium Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Sheridan, Indiana
    We are camping at the same campground as Cassie's sister. So we marched right up to them.

KarenCurtis, GlennR and Calliesmom like this.
  8. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Great!! Minnie has been lucky enough to have some play dates with another sheltie puppy. Her agility instructor is getting a puppy next week, Minnie will be the puppy's first play date!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    Hanne, Calliesmom and GlennR like this.