Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

I'm so proud of Elijah!

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Sharon7, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Well, my 18 month old pup has really impressed my husband and I. Yesterday we went and visited a Sheltie-related acquaintance in the care home where she was recently moved. She has a severe, fast-moving case of ALS. I had another thread some months ago regarding us walking her Sheltie for her, since her husband is also disabled. We have been doing that twice weekly.

The care home is pet-friendly, so we took Eli with us. The lady was so happy to see us and him. She was in a recliner chair, so I had him jump up with his front legs so she could pet him. Eventually we put him on her lap, and bless him, he just settled right in, letting her stroke him and she was thrilled. He was on her lap a good 20 minutes. We have noticed he is so good with kids too; we had discussed maybe trying to certify as a Therapy Dog so that he could be one that the kids read to. None of my Sheltie girls would have tolerated being on a person's lap especially if they did not know the person well.

Her own Sheltie does get over to visit her as well. It is a very heart-breaking situation but we were so glad to have brightened her day and we promised her we'd come back.

I'm just really proud and pleased with Mr. Eli. What a good boy. (y)

Margi, KarenCurtis, Hanne and 4 others like this.
  2. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    That's a lovely story. I'm glad it worked out so well. We are hoping Willow will one day be a therapy dog once she gets over her puppy enthusiasm for everyone.

Calliesmom, Sharon7 and KarenCurtis like this.
  3. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Love that you took Elijah to see your friend!

When my mom was in Daycare Center for her Alzheimer's, they used to bring in preschool age kids and puppies - different days. Mom would just jabber away both days about the visitors. In the back of my mind, I would love to do agility for fun, but we are on a quest as well to start getting certified as a Good Citizen. We start level 1 obedience at the beginning of March. He has to pass level 1 which I was told can take a few tries + then level 2 before training and testing for his CGC.

Thank you for you visit and for sharing it! It is something that really means a ton to me knowing how much it meant to mom at the time.

Calliesmom, Sharon7 and KarenCurtis like this.
  4. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    That is so amazing. Dogs really just know sometimes.

KarenCurtis, Calliesmom and Sharon7 like this.
  5. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate ny
    Dogs are such special comforters for people who need something to smile about. Bless you and Eli for caring and taking the time.
    Trini

KarenCurtis and Sharon7 like this.