Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

I'm so proud of Sandstorm!!

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by KarenCurtis, Feb 4, 2019.

1. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    What a good dog! All this training has paid off! Sandstorm used to be a car chaser, of course we always tried to prevent it, and did after a scare! We have worked hard on Sandstorm sitting and staying, ideally with distractions. He is not released from the sit stay until I say "okay". We also do a stay command when he is walking and he is supposed to freeze, which he does. He has done wonderfully for a number of years, but lately it has been very close to perfect. This morning I let him out to pee, he is always in the back where I can see him from a window- four feet away. This time he started to go around to the front of the house, I ran to meet him at the front door- yelled stay and he froze. My neighbor across our road (I live on a dead end dirt road, wide enough for one car at a time) was pulling out of her driveway about to drive away, which she did. Sandstorm did not move until I released him! SO PROUD! ❤️

2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Outstanding work! Yes, it was work to ensure Sandstorm‘s safety! This should be a lesson to all dog owners! It can save their lives! Touché, Bravo, I tip my hat to you!

You give me hope for Liam!

Katie’s Mom, Sharon7, Jams and 2 others like this.
  3. KarenCurtis

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    YES! And you never know if it will work until you have to give that command! I've done this stay while talking to Sandstorm, waving my arms, to reinforce that he stays until I say okay, and not until then. Sandstorm was a reactive pup, and has gotten so much better thanks to this forum and just by learning and doing!

Piper's mom likes this.
  4. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    GOOD BOY!!!

KarenCurtis likes this.
  5. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Piper here...you IS a gud dog Sandstorm!

6. KarenCurtis

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Sandstorm here!! i is a gud dog! i stayed!

7. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Wow, well done. Once being the owner of a ruthless car chaser I do understand how hard it is to get them to stop.

KarenCurtis likes this.
  8. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Minnie here:
    Sandstorm you are such a gud dog, just show your mom how gud you are :yes:
    - you do not dig holes you are easy and obedient :wink2:

Perhaps your mom wakes up and comes to her senses :fl
    - Why do she think you need a little puppy that peeing inside, biting, disobedience and teasing you?

KarenCurtis likes this.
  9. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Sargent Sandstorm! You held your stay! You obeyed your Mom's command! You are a good Sheltie. You deserve a medal!
    Colonel Underpants

10. KarenCurtis

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Caro you are the one who has helped me s lot with training!