Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

In Heat at 5.5 months?

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Sunflower77, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Sunflower77

Sunflower77 Forums Regular

Feb 6, 2019
    My Sparkle is 5.5 months old. Today I noticed some change on her vulva. It used to be pink. Now it’s brown. The discoloration is caused by some brown discharge. It’s not swollen as some of the images I saw online. The size is the same as before.

I’m not sure whether this is her first period. She’s only 5.5 months old. I heard most Sheltie start their first heat after six months or later. Also the discharge is brown, not red or blood color. She’s my first female pet. So I’m not experienced at this.

Does this sound like the start of her first heat? If so, how long will the period last? Shall I buy some sanitary pad for her? Thanks a lot.

2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    The general rule is for seasons to start around 6 months, but your girl could be starting early, or she could have a mini or partial heat now since it's early. I would definitely invest in some seasonal panties and pads to have on hand for when she goes in. Generally, the first sign you'll notice is some drips of blood (usually fairly red) on the floor after she pees. The color turns from red to almost pink and then brown and runs about 3 weeks long. Baby wipes are also great for this time!

Sunflower77 likes this.
  3. Sunflower77

Feb 6, 2019
    Thank you. Her discharge is not red at all. Now I’m thinking it might not be her period. I have an appointment with a new vet on Wednesday for spay consultation. I’ll ask him about it.

Ann likes this.
  4. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    It’s definitely possible that it’s her first heat. Swelling is the first thing you’ll notice, but it is slight at first. My girl didn’t do a great job cleaning herself so the red would turn brownish.

Sunflower77 likes this.
  5. Sunflower77

Feb 6, 2019
    Now that I started to pay attention, I noticed she cleaned her “private” quite often. Nonetheless, I can see a circle of dark brown stain on the hair around her vulva. My husband said that’s probably urine stain. But I’m sure she didn’t have this stain before, unless this is a normal change when a Shellie grows older. LOL. All my pets in the past (a dog and several cats) were boys. So I never needed to think about heat cycles. And I’m still trying to wrap my head around this. In my eyes, she’s still a baby. Now, she could have babies of her own?

Dogs grow so fast. The first day I noticed she lost a baby tooth, my younger son happened to lose his first baby tooth. Now she pretty much has all her adult teeth erupted, while my son’s single lost tooth is still just a hole, waiting for the new tooth to fill in!

6. Sunflower77

Feb 6, 2019
    Went to the vet yesterday. My girl is not in heat. However, she has an inverted vulva. The vet suggested that we wait until after her first heat to get her spayed because the issue might self correct after her heat.

7. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Just as a frame of reference, none of my girls have ever had their first season before 9 months old, and most of them were closer to 12 months. Flurry was 14 months! I don't know if that's more common to Shelties or just my line. Heat cycles can start at 6 months but I don't know too many who do.