Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Insurance

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Cara Sandler, Mar 23, 2018.

1. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    I have Trupanion as well and have been happy. I have the $1000 deductible to keep costs down as we have it on all 4 dogs.

I truly only have it in case of a catastrophic event (knee surgery, cancer, etc). My premiums have only gone down in cost over the years.

I haven’t had any claims denied, but they are kind of picky about what things are covered and what isn’t. So for example I submitted a $90 claim for Enzo’s appointment for a back injury. The exam was covered but the medications and some of the extraneous fees were not (I think around $55 was covered?). Now to me it’s not big deal as I only even submitted it in case it becomes more serious (I pray it doesn’t) but wanted to say that in case you expect them to always pay out penny for penny.

Cara Sandler likes this.
  2. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    I'm definitely not worried about them paying out every penny, I just want to make sure they pay a reasonable amount if I'm hit with say, a $10,000 vet bill. Someone else also told me just to be extremely careful about what diagnosis code the vets use.

3. Cara Sandler

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    I took the plunge and took out policies for both girls! I did a $1000 deductible and added the rehab rider. The total premium per month is less than $100 for both dogs. Now they are covered by both Embrace and Trupanion, and I know to be very careful with what diagnosis code is used, so I'm pretty confident that my girls are now fully covered for both the small things and the big things.

corbinam likes this.
  4. Cara Sandler

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    Update! I decided to do Healthy Paws instead of Trupanion. For what I wanted - a secondary policy in case of catastrophic injury or illness - Trupanion didn't really fit the bill, since they have a deductible per diagnosis. I was able to get a Healthy Paws policy with 90% coverage, $200 deductible, and no limit on payouts for about $35 per dog! I have a few friends who have this insurance and they said they have never had a problem with it. It doesn't cover the exam fee, like Embrace does, but I'm not worried about that. It does also cover agility related injuries. So I think now my dogs have all the coverage they could need!!!!!

5. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    Has anyone actually used Trupanion? I am not sure why but I decided against them when I got Beau insurance. I have PetPlan which was recommended by his vet. So far his premium has not increased in almost 2 years.

Also, are you sure the premiums for Trupanion never increase because I went there to check it out since it sounds so good and I couldn't find that anywhere--maybe I don't know where to look?

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  6. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    I use Trupanion. I think one time our premiums went up for all the dogs, but since then they have actually gone down! I’ve been really happy with it.